• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with value and authenticity!
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I've got this one right here and I don't if it's authentic or not. The condition makes me a bit suspicious. I'm a newbie so I need help please!! Thank you!

20230703_152533.jpg

20230703_152553.jpg

On 7/6/2023 at 4:28 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum.

Not an expert on ancients but that looks like a cast coin to me.  
See what others have to say.

Thank you! Unfortunately it is fake... The paint came off when added a little vinegar and now I have left a shiny coin...

On 7/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, Just Bob said:

Looks like it was supposed to resemble a Byzantine solidus or similar, but it was probably something sold at one of the tourist traps in Turkey.

Yes.. Thank you for the help

On 7/6/2023 at 9:40 AM, stefqwe said:

Thank you! Unfortunately it is fake... The paint came off when added a little vinegar and now I have left a shiny coin...

This time, no harm no foul.  But, I would advise you to be careful when cleaning coins.  You will ruin a lot of coins by using the conservation methods above.

Just because someone painted it doesn't make it a counterfeit; paint isn't that common on coins. Replating is more common. I'd like to see a photo of the edge plus weight and diameter.

My own guess is that it was cast as a necklace and the little loop broke off, but the edge is the next place for us to look.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:42 PM, JKK said:

Just because someone painted it doesn't make it a counterfeit; paint isn't that common on coins. Replating is more common. I'd like to see a photo of the edge plus weight and diameter.

My own guess is that it was cast as a necklace and the little loop broke off, but the edge is the next place for us to look.

3.82g and 18.4mm

20230706_180117.jpg

20230706_175931.jpg

I did a little looking, enough to satisfy myself that what it's supposed to be is a half follis (aka 20 nummi), a common bronze coin of the early Byz era. I would start looking on Wildwinds, choosing to view thumbnails, and use the reverse as your primary cue. You can skip forward past Justin II, unless you want to make sure I didn't miss something (quite possible).

I don't see any seams along the edge that you showed me, but it does look a little too disclike to make me very comfortable. In any case, first find what it's supposed to be, then use that info to look up known authentic examples.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:50 AM, JKK said:

I did a little looking, enough to satisfy myself that what it's supposed to be is a half follis (aka 20 nummi), a common bronze coin of the early Byz era. I would start looking on Wildwinds, choosing to view thumbnails, and use the reverse as your primary cue. You can skip forward past Justin II, unless you want to make sure I didn't miss something (quite possible).

I don't see any seams along the edge that you showed me, but it does look a little too disclike to make me very comfortable. In any case, first find what it's supposed to be, then use that info to look up known authentic examples.

Thank you!!! I will start looking, but just by looking at it, do you think it has a chance to be authentic?

On 7/6/2023 at 3:05 PM, stefqwe said:

Thank you!!! I will start looking, but just by looking at it, do you think it has a chance to be authentic?

Perhaps; can't really say. Photos are very deceptive that way, and the harsh cleaning certainly didn't help matters (though I understand it, if it was coated in f-bombing paint). The way to arriving at a decision is to do what I said, find out what it purports to be, then compare it to examples of the real deal.