• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error? Worth?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m new to collecting. Found this coin today and looks like an error coin to me. I was curious if someone could verify this for me and if it is authentic what could it be worth?

CE77772A-C050-4110-BFAB-13EF9DBBD113.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

The "Coin Marketplace" forum is limited to posts offering to sell or buy numismatic items under the rules stated in the lead topic on this forum. Questions about coins by new collectors should be posted under the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum. Please post clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin about which you are asking questions, not distant photos like these that show mostly the table on which the coin sits.  

Based on what little I can see in the photo, this is very likely just a worn and corroded clad dime worth only its face value of ten cents. Even the outer layer of such a coin is 75% copper and can turn red when exposed to various corrosive substances in the environment.  Contrary to what you may have seen on the internet, it is extremely unusual to find significant mint errors or other coins of value in circulation.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:45 PM, Wilki2015 said:

Hello, I’m new to collecting. Found this coin today and looks like an error coin to me. I was curious if someone could verify this for me and if it is authentic what could it be worth?

CE77772A-C050-4110-BFAB-13EF9DBBD113.jpeg

Please do not be offended. We have seen literally hundreds of “errors” like these. They are not errors, and they are not worth a premium. There are dozens of either s-t-u-p-I-d or downright evil people all over the Internet misinforming beginners about what are and are not errors. YouTube is awash in them, but not only there. They are thick as flies on doggie doo-doo. I have a 9x2x2 red box LOADED with so-called error cents. I got it with a bulk auction lot. Only one coin in there is a legit error. Errors are the least understood area in this hobby.