• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Morgan Silver Dollar - followup...

12 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying I collect comic books and have most of my life (I  mainly post over on the CGC board).  I know next to nothing about coins other than how to spend them, but I have been told I will inherit a decent collection (I have no idea what this entails).  

Recently, I was asked to keep an eye out for a 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar and to convey the price.  It's the only one missing from their collection of Morgan Silver dollars and I'd like to help. I asked in what condition and was told it didn't matter.

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.  As in reputable sellers or sites besides feebay.

Edited by HighRadArt

Welcome to this side of the forum, 21 Morgan dollars are super common and not difficult to find, almost any (practically every) dealer is likely to have one, but without any idea of raw vs slabbed, condition or price point it is really impossible to give much help.   For certified (slabbed coins) off the top of my head Northeast Numismatics is a good place to look as is JJ Teaparty, and David Lawrence, here are the links to these three.

NE

JJ

DLRC

On 6/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to this side of the forum, 21 Morgan dollars are super common and not difficult to find, almost any (practically every) dealer is likely to have one, but without any idea of raw vs slabbed, condition or price point it is really impossible to give much help.   For certified (slabbed coins) off the top of my head Northeast Numismatics is a good place to look as is JJ Teaparty, and David Lawrence, here are the links to these three.

NE

JJ

DLRC

Wow.  That was fast and much appreciated.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:06 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I have found that 1921 Morgan’s P,S are quite available at reasonable prices around $60. I have Not been able to find a 1921 D for anywhere south of $100. You might ask if they are looking for a D mint 1921.

Will do and thanks.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The 1921 Morgan dollar is the most common Morgan dollar and one of the most common of all U.S. silver dollars, only the 1922 and 1923 Peace dollars possibly being more common. Millions of them still exist, and they are readily available in circulated and in most uncirculated grades short of Gem Uncirculated from most coin dealers at coin shops and at coin shows. You should be able to buy a circulated one for $30-$40 and an average uncirculated (MS 62) one for around $60 at current, inflated retail prices.

I think that you likely misunderstood your relatives. Ask them what they mean by "complete". Does the collection include such rare dates as an 1893-S (worth $4,000 in well-worn condition), an 1889-CC and an 1894?  Could they possibly mean that they lack a 1921 Peace dollar, which is considerably scarcer than the 1921 Morgan, or the 1921-D or 1921-S Morgans, which are common but not as common as the 1921?

If you would like to acquire resources from which you can learn the basics about U.S. coins, please refer to the following topic on this forum:

On 6/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The 1921 Morgan dollar is the most common Morgan dollar and one of the most common of all U.S. silver dollars, only the 1922 and 1923 Peace dollars possibly being more common. Millions of them still exist, and they are readily available in circulated and in most uncirculated grades short of Gem Uncirculated from most coin dealers at coin shops and at coin shows. You should be able to buy a circulated one for $30-$40 and an average uncirculated (MS 62) one for around $60 at current, inflated retail prices.

I think that you likely misunderstood your relatives. Ask them what they mean by "complete". Does the collection include such rare dates as an 1893-S (worth $4,000 in well-worn condition), an 1889-CC and an 1894?  Could they possibly mean that they lack a 1921 Peace dollar, which is considerably scarcer than the 1921 Morgan, or the 1921-D or 1921-S Morgans, which are common but not as common as the 1921?

If you would like to acquire resources from which you can learn the basics about U.S. coins, please refer to the following topic on this forum:

This is why I asked and it's appreciated.  I also relayed this information and it sounds like they would prefer the 1921-S.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

Northeast Numismatics

Northeast is a good one I am familiar with, and I have all positive things to say about buying coins from them.

I would also look at coins from Apmex who have a good reputation, and again I have nothing but positive things to say about buying quite a lot of coins from them.  Reasonable prices on a good selection of both raw and slabbed coins.  I also have been buying precious metals from Apmex for quite a while (as well as others like SD & JD Bullion), well before I even got more seriously into coin collecting.  Littleton is another reputable dealer, but I have found their prices to be pretty high.

You really do need to nail down what grades of coins you are looking for, as prices van vary tremendously as others have indicated from a well worn or damaged coin (~$30) to an almost perfect one (thousands of $ and up).  What's a desireable grade is also a very personalized preference, as what is a good grade to one collector may be unacceptable to another collector.

I tend to look more at the "middle of the road" grades of extra fine (XF) to almost uncirculated (AU) grades, as I think it's generally a nice coin grade wise at reasonable prices, unless bumping up to an uncirculated or mint state (BU or MS) coin is not that much more.  I would also recommend sticking with NGC or PCGS slabbed coins (i.e. in a sealed plastic holder) unless you really know the coins being purchased.  It also sounds like you already know to stay away from sites like eBay unless you know how to evaluate coins, and never buy coins from sites like Etsy.

For the 1921-S Morgan coin I would say go with a lower end uncirculated grade (BU or MS62 to MS63) as it's relatively not that expensive, and only a little more than the XF to AU range I usually target.  And if you want a lower end mint state coin, and are not stuck on grade numbers, you can get some good deals on going with a BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) grade.  But that's just me.

APMEX: Cull/Damaged 1921 P/D/S Morgan $1 - $30

APMEX: Uncirculated 1921-S Morgan 1$ (BU Grade) - $90

APMEX: PCGS MS-62 1921-D Morgan $1 - $150

NORTHEAST: NGC MS-63 1921-S Morgan 1$ - $160

Edited by EagleRJO

1921 Morgans.....P (no mintmark), D, or S. There are differences in prices for the different mintmarks, but unless you are getting into higher end MS (64 and above), we are talking $20-40 difference for low end MS and below.

There are generally tons of 1921 Morgans in all three mintmarks out there and just about every local coin shop (generally speaking) will have one. Very low end examples can go for melt value but generally for one with a decent amount of detail expect to be in the $50-75 range. 

You can check out local coin shops and local coin dealers, jewelry exchanges that also buy coins, pawn shops, and estate sales, and I am sure there has been a case or two where one was sold at a garage sale.