• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steps toward the 1856 small cent

6 posts in this topic

And yet, from what I have read, these same meticulous Mint higher-ups at this time and for the next few decades were experimenting with all different kinds of patterns....mix-and-match reverse/obverse combination....and different, unauthorized metals.

That's where many of the sought-after patterns of today were created.

On 6/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

And yet, from what I have read, these same meticulous Mint higher-ups at this time and for the next few decades were experimenting with all different kinds of patterns....mix-and-match reverse/obverse combination....and different, unauthorized metals.

That's where many of the sought-after patterns of today were created.

In the research I've completed so far, most of the "monkey business" took place during the latter part of Pollock's 1st term and his 2nd, plus Linderman's before 1873. A.L. Snowden's term as Superintendent at Philadelphia, and Linderman's as Director in Washington saw mules and restrikes of mules. The House Coinage Committee was complicit in some of this. Dir Kimball put an end to most of it.

It's worth adding that many of the pattern alloys have never actually been tested -- the "experts" merely guessed.

".... the judgement of a few persons, however mature, might, after all, be opposed by the taste or predilection of the public at large.... "

The formality is music to my ears! Ah, I tell you, I should have been born a hundred years earlier.

It is my understanding the first commercially-made typewriters were not patented until two years after this letter was written.

Thanks for the transcription!