• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there some Tom Foolery happening to my cent?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

As seen, I have a Proof 2003, San Francisco cent-the reverse appears to have an issue-is this a chemical reaction? I notice that it goes in a diagonal direction

-LC-5-B.jpg.24cc0370293a477c7424be5c762da809.jpg

LC-5.jpg

LC-5.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Yes, the blue streak is the result of a chemical reaction. Both copper and zinc, of which this cent is composed, react and form chemical compounds with a number of substances in both the atmosphere and in surfaces they may touch and may "tone" like this even in mint packaging and certified holders.  Presumably, this coin brushed against something that caused the surface of the copper plating to turn blue. Some compounds containing copper, such as copper sulphate, have a blue color. Some collectors actually find bluish "toning" on older copper coins to be attractive, although most probably prefer solid "red" on a cent this recent. A grading service would likely classify the coin as "red and brown" ("RB").

The coin may or may not continue to change in appearance. If it has looked like this for some years now, it is probably stable.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:40 PM, Lee Coen said:

Thank you very much..So, should I send this dude in for cert? Better to be in a NGC holder then open air..

Lee

Too late putting it in a slab now will not reverse what has happened.   As mentioned above copper collectors will most of the time prefer a red coin for coins of this vintage, spending money having this graded and slabbed would be a waste imo.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, Lee Coen said:

should I send this dude in for cert? Better to be in a NGC holder then open air..

Absolutely not!  A 2003-S proof cent wouldn't worth the cost of certification ($19 grading fee alone) in any event, and the "damage" has already been done. If there is still a chemically active substance on the coin, placing it in a certified holder won't halt the toning process.  NGC would charge an additional $25 for its affiliate NCS to attempt to "conserve" it, which would be unlikely to improve its appearance. If the coin isn't still in a sealed proof set, you could try soaking it in acetone, a solvent, to dissolve anything that may still be on the surface. See NGC Search Results | NGC (ngccoin.com) for topics on this chat board for how to use acetone. Bear in mind that acetone is very flammable.

How has this coin been stored?

If by "mylar 2x2s" you mean the cardboard holders with the thin mylar windows that are sealed with staples, these are generally not recommended for the long- term storage of anything other than very low value, circulated coins. The mylar window can easily be torn away and the coin exposed to the air or adjacent surfaces, including the staples on adjacent holders. Countless coins have been badly scratched when collectors have impatiently failed to remove the staples completely before removing the coins from these holders.

If what you mean is solid mylar (not vinyl) 2x2 coin flips, these are somewhat safer, but the coin can fall out if you aren't careful, and some air does circulate in and out of the holder. Your 2003-S cent may have been touched by bare skin or some other contaminated surface before or while being placed in the flip, eventually resulting in the toning streak.

To minimize the risk of "negative" toning, I recommend that uncertified coins that were issued in sealed government packaging or capsules going back to the 1955 "flat pack" proof sets and 1959 mint sets be kept in such packaging or capsules. If this isn't possible, hard plastic lucite or "Snap-Tite" holders or coin capsules are preferable. I have kept coins in modern Whitman and Dansco albums (not folders) for decades with few of the coins toning, but it is important to make sure the coins lie well beneath the top plastic slides to avoid damaging "slide marks".  Always be careful not to touch the surfaces of the coins with your bare hands or to allow the coin to come in contact with a surface that isn't clean.  You should also make efforts to store your coins in a cool, dark, dry place. High humidity can be especially damaging to coins.

As a returning collector, you may benefit from the print and online resources in the following topic. Some of the mentioned publishers also sell coin holders, albums and products that are supposed to inhibit toning.

I myself have a few odds awkward toned modern coinage I threw in the junk pile of my collection … not worth sending in for grading , I have a weird unique Rosevelt dime on the bust his face has Green stripe and blackish tone under it looks like he painted military face paint on himself … also have a few War nickels with woody grain streaks , I have a Lincoln cent I found wedged in a couch once sitting up against yellow foam cushion for years it turned Lincoln’s hairdo bright yellow/purple like he got his hair dyed by Dennis Rodman … interesting but worth nothing throw it in 2x2 and throw it in back of your collection 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 6/24/2023 at 7:38 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I have a weird unique Rosevelt dime on the bust his face has Green stripe and blackish tone under it looks like he painted military face paint on himself …  I have a Lincoln cent I found wedged in a couch once sitting up against yellow foam cushion for years it turned Lincoln’s hairdo bright yellow/purple like he got his hair dyed by Dennis Rodman … 

You can't post something like this and not show pictures. :D

10zbb9.jpg

On 6/23/2023 at 2:58 PM, Lee Coen said:

you just saved me some bucks..ebay here we come..

thank you again

Lee

I just want to add something to what I wrote above, just because most copper collectors perfer a red coin there is a base of collectors (which has grown over the past ten years) that very much likes toned copper both proof and business strike.   I just want to mention this as it sounds like you have been on the sidelines of numismatics for a bit and may not be aware of this trend.   For that group your coin might be very well liked and thus is not without value, the key is to get it in front of those eyeballs.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Just Bob said:

You can't post something like this and not show pictures. :D

10zbb9.jpg

When I get the time Bob I’ll post some pictures right now I’m not at my collection to dig through it but I will in next day or so when I’m home