• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A poetic application of the word "emission."
1 1

3 posts in this topic

An unusual application of the word "emission" appears in a single line of an article regarding the authentication of coins, entitled: The Genuine Article, by Kyle Clifford Knapp, June 13, 2023, PCGS.

".... all five known 1913 Liberty Nickels have been extensively documented, photographed, and studied -- their likely emission sequence determined; any purported additional pieces would have to make sense within this context...."

(Now, if only I could have learned to write like that!)  🤣 

Another interesting assertion made is:  "Even when excluding 'obvious' or low-quality replicas, there are multitudes more fake 1804 Draped Bust Dollars or 1913 Liberty Head nickels in existence than there are genuine examples. [Italics mine.]

(I would urge any fellow member able to do so to provide a helpful link, if possible, to this article which I believe would be of interest to anyone curious as to this aspect of grading.)

I actually use the word "emission" a fair amount during my cataloging duties.  If only I had permission to collect a commission each time I used it....

Edited by EarlyUS.com

Technically, an emission is anthing that's been released out into the open or emitted into the world.  Vehicle safety/emissions, car exhausts, burps and radio broadcasts are all examples of emissions. So are gases, liquids, electromagnetic radiation and light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, or lasers.

Now, what line of work did you say you were in?  🤣