• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossing the delaware improper annealing or something different?

14 posts in this topic

Coins that are improperly annealed will usually be a copper color, this quarter in your photos doesn't appear to be copper in color on my monitor.   Your coin just looks stained or discolored from these photos to me.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:14 PM, Coinbuf said:

Coins that are improperly annealed will usually be a copper color, this quarter in your photos doesn't appear to be copper in color on my monitor.   Your coin just looks stained or discolored from these photos to me.

Kinda like this?

1687210301253451071164796455015.jpg

Edited by AmeriRuski

As observed both coins came from the Denver mint and have near identical surfaces. With the exception of one having vertical stripes and the other horizontal. I got them at separate times in different states.

16872104397096029720649526312230.jpg

16872104966955485944933202080171.jpg

Edited by AmeriRuski

If by "improper annealing" you mean a clad coin that is missing one of its outer copper-nickel layers due to improper bonding, this clearly isn't one, as the photos of the edge shows that both outer layers are present. Error-ref.com references certain planchet errors from "improper annealing", but your coin doesn't resemble any of them. See Search Results for “annealing” (error-ref.com).  

Circulated coins like this one are often discolored due to exposure to chemicals in the environment to which they have been exposed or sometimes are just dirty, one of which appears to be the case here. Note that the coins photographed on error-ref.com as examples of actual mint errors are usually in uncirculated condition.

On 6/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, AmeriRuski said:

Kinda like this ehh?

16872137256588930940979925130730.jpg

16872137409656338614393605535955.jpg

Looks like it might have been in a nuclear bomb test. Damage on steroids. I am genuinely curious. What source led you to believe this kind of material is even slightly collectible? Whatever source that was, you need to ignore it completely. 

On 6/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, AmeriRuski said:

Kinda like this?

1687210301253451071164796455015.jpg

I cannot say for sure but I do not believe this is improperly annealed either, the look is all wrong.   However, the white balance of your photo is off (I'm assuming the background color is white but appears to be yellow on my monitor) which makes the coin look yellow, thus it's very difficult to say definitively.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

I cannot say for sure but I do not believe this is improperly annealed either, the look is all wrong.   However, the white balance of your photo is off (I'm assuming the background color is white but appears to be yellow on my monitor) which makes the coin look yellow, thus it's very difficult to say definitively.

The quarter seems to have some yellowish toning taking place. But here are 2 better photos. I know improperly annealed quarters traditionally take irregular shape, if not the whole quarter. I have not seen this before. It is copper coming through though.

20230619_215253.jpg

20230619_215244.jpg

On 6/19/2023 at 5:12 PM, Sandon said:

If by "improper annealing" you mean a clad coin that is missing one of its outer copper-nickel layers due to improper bonding, this clearly isn't one, as the photos of the edge shows that both outer layers are present. Error-ref.com references certain planchet errors from "improper annealing", but your coin doesn't resemble any of them. See Search Results for “annealing” (error-ref.com).  

Circulated coins like this one are often discolored due to exposure to chemicals in the environment to which they have been exposed or sometimes are just dirty, one of which appears to be the case here. Note that the coins photographed on error-ref.com as examples of actual mint errors are usually in uncirculated condition.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

So guys I found these just now. Similar jagged edges and similar lines going through them.

20230620_161726.jpg

20230620_161745.jpg

20230620_161806.jpg

16872961746259196247756028509001.jpg

If you want to collect recently minted coins from circulation, you would be better off saving those shiny, bright ones that a cashier or teller hands you from a just opened roll, especially those with a minimum of nicks and scratches. If properly stored in coin albums, tubes or other proper holders, these uncirculated coins may someday have value, if not in your lifetime, then in your children's or grandchildren's.

Modern coins that are already worn and discolored like these, some like the 2022-D quarter with green corrosion, possibly copper-nickel chloride, are not and have never been sought by coin collectors. There is no reason to believe that they ever will. (My hypothesis on how they got this way would be that they spent some months submerged in a fountain or "wishing well".) Only rare coins, which these are not, have any value with such impairments, and even they are worth less than unimpaired ones. 

I've been collecting coins and looking through change for over fifty years. In all that time the only mint error coins I've found are a blank cent planchet and a couple of broadstruck quarters, each worth no more than a few dollars each. I only know one collector who found a significant error coin in circulation, a man now about eighty years old, who a few years ago received in change at a supermarket an uncirculated struck Lincoln cent that had been overstruck by Jefferson nickel dies, perhaps worth a few hundred dollars.  It is a once in a lifetime experience, if that.  It is vital to learn what actual significant mint errors look like so that you will recognize one that you may be fortunate enough to find.