• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received 2005 proof half dollar from cashier today
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Cashier gave me a Kennedy half dollar in the change today, S mint from 2005 It has a mark on it by the "I" in liberty. I cannot get my phone to capture a good pic of it. Do you know of any such error on these

Edited by usmcpilot06

What is it about the mark that makes you think it is an error, and not just a hit from another coin or some other object?

Is the mark raised or incuse?

You don’t provide much info, a mark can be caused by anything.  
As most errors  are one of a kind, we really need a photo or else we are just guessing.

You should learn what mint errors look like, especially if you can't post photos of your coins. The following resources may be helpful to you:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Once you have learned the basics, the site error-ref.com provides a comprehensive listing of known types of errors.

Your question about 2005-S proof half dollars, "Do you know of any such error on these?", suggests that you are confusing a mint error, which is usually a defect affecting a single coin, with a die variety, which usually appears on each coin struck from a specific die pair. NGC VarietyPlus ("VarietyPlus" under the "Resources" tab near the top of the NGC home page) shows most of the better-known die varieties for each U.S. coin issue by series.  The page for proof Kennedy half dollars shows no such varieties for the 2005-S. Kennedy Half Dollars (1964-Date) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com)

I would expect any comparatively heavy coin introduced into circulation to bear signs of combat fatigue most of which is the work of an otherwise mysterious individual bearing monogrammed apparel labeled PMD in dark blue Gothic font. The more experienced numismatists among us will, understandably, champ at the bit to get to the bottom of this.  Not me.  You have inadvertently joined the ranks of those who received a proof coin in change. That is in and of itself quite an achievement and the ultimate "error." Welcome to the Forum!

Proof coins that find their way into commerce VERY quickly pick up miscellaneous marks and damage. It’s normal. I’ve gotten two such quarters and they were both a hot mess of marks, hits, and damage. These surfaces are extremely fragile. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/15/2023 at 9:55 AM, Greenstang said:

Is the mark raised or incuse?

You don’t provide much info, a mark can be caused by anything.  
As most errors  are one of a kind, we really need a photo or else we are just guessing.

I really need a coin microscope and a good camera for this. I used to collect coins 30 years ago, but I got away from it when I joined the military. The mark is not easy to see with my camera but here is a pic

IMG_0560.jpg

Generally speaking, if there is something on the surface of a coin that cannot be seen with the naked eye, nor can be easily seen in a phone camera photo zoom, but needs a microscope to be seen, there is nothing to note on the coin you have. It is a case of post mint damage, and most certainly not an error. TPG's use only 10X to grade coins. Not to be mean, but I feel you are going down a rabbit hole that you don't need to go down.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... TPG's use only 10X to grade coins....

I don't know about that. Members still around today recall vividly the sound thrashing I was given by one veteran seasoned member who "opined" the standard range was 5-to-7 power and proclaimed anything exceeding that was "Never!" done. I did not dare challenge him.  🤣

P.S.  Mine was [and still is] 30x.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, powermad5000 said:

Generally speaking, if there is something on the surface of a coin that cannot be seen with the naked eye, nor can be easily seen in a phone camera photo zoom, but needs a microscope to be seen, there is nothing to note on the coin you have. It is a case of post mint damage, and most certainly not an error. TPG's use only 10X to grade coins. Not to be mean, but I feel you are going down a rabbit hole that you don't need to go down.

I'm not trying to go down a rabbit hole...I am just curious is all.