• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helping Granny!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

IMG_7643.thumb.jpeg.2a9f241b35fbe0d0070b4bf707f9c358.jpegHello! My granny is an avid Coin Collector and I told her I’d help with seeing what they could be worth. 

I found a couple of 1909 VDB pennies - no mint mark and recently this 1919-s penny with some significant errors with “trust” and “liberty”. Anyone knows anything about this year and what to look for?

Welcome to the forum. I think it is a good thing that you and your granny are enjoying her coin collection. I hope the two of you have many happy hours together.

It appears from the picture that what may appear to be errors are actually the result of die wear combined with damage and wear on the coin itself. In that condition a 1919-S is worth about 10 cents or so. 

As far as what to look for, Variety Vista lists only one re-punched mint mark for the 1919-s, and it is so minor that the coin would need to be in pristine condition to even see it, so I doubt it would bring much of a premium if you could find one.

Edited by Just Bob

Welcome to the Forum

There is a big difference between damage and wear to a coin and an actual error.  
Suggest you study a bit to tell the difference. This way you can save time by knowing what to look for.

error-ref.com is a good site to see what actual errors are.

Variety Vista is a good site to study up on varieties.

By the way, nice job cropping your photo to remove unnecessary background. The picture is a bit fuzzy, but that has more to do with the limitations of cell phone cameras than anything else. You also posted a picture of the entire obverse instead of just some blurry close-ups, so a hearty "well done" for that, too. It is always helpful to include a picture of the reverse of the coin, as well, just in case there are any die markers or other important things to see and take into consideration.