• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 no mint mark error?

10 posts in this topic

Nothing but a normal looking Cent no errors. A no mint mark cent is a Philadelphia mint coin, except in 2017 it has a P

The letters to which you refer nearly touch the rim. This is entirely normal for a cent dated from the mid-1960s through 1968.  The master die for the obverse of Lincoln cents had been in use since 1919. Over the years Lincoln's portrait and the lettering had spread out as the die was used to make numerous "hubs" that in turn were used to make working dies that struck coins. The problem got worse every year. The master die was finally replaced for 1969 coinage and has been replaced several times since.

Your coin appears to have been struck from a slightly misaligned obverse die that accentuated the thinness of the rim at the top of the coin and widened it at the bottom. This is very common, is not regarded as a mint error, and adds no value to the coin. If you found this coin recently in circulation, it is in nice (About Uncirculated) condition for its age, though still not worth much above face value.

Here is a Brilliant Uncirculated 1967 cent from my collection, NGC graded MS 65 RD. Note the same letters nearly touching the rim on this coin.

1967centobv..thumb.jpg.3d34e522a1d2d89307a1ad092683a3cf.jpg

1967centrev..thumb.jpg.6be75f31790e1e7677add4c6d18b3cec.jpg

@J P M--Mint marks were not used on U.S. coins dated from 1965 through 1967.  A 1967 cent could have been struck at either Philadelphia or Denver., and possibly at the the San Francisco (then) Assay Office as well.

Edited by Sandon
correct typo

I google search errors for 1967 no mint mark and it shows numerous coins listed as an error coin  on eBay with L touching the rim and W touching the rim so I’m confused where to search for known errors if I find a coin that’s off a little bit

On 6/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, Sandon said:

--Mint marks were not used on U.S. coins dated from 1965 through 1967.  A 1967 cent could have been struck at either Philadelphia or Denver., and possibly at the the San Francisco (then) Assay Office as well

Yes Sandon I did know that. I should have been a bit more specific. 

On 6/12/2023 at 7:30 PM, Bozworth75 said:

I google search errors for 1967 no mint mark and it shows numerous coins listed as an error coin  on eBay with L touching the rim and W touching the rim so I’m confused where to search for known errors if I find a coin that’s off a little bit

The coins are merely part of normal production. The ebay junk-sellers are people trying to take advantage of uninformed buyers who have been watching too may Zombie films. There is no collector market (or value) for these except among sheep lined up to be sheared.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:30 PM, Bozworth75 said:

An anonymous seller can list anything and claim anything (and they do) on ebay.   Ebay doesn't have any process to check the validity of what a seller on that site lists, nor do they care, they are worried about getting their "cut" when things sell not about protecting the buyers.

If you are looking for errors you should spend some time to understand how the minting process works and what is an error and what is not.   An error only happens at the time a coin is struck and 99% of real errors are unique, by that I mean you will not find ten of them in a roll.   The only exception to that is for strikethroughs, on occasion the foreign object that creates a strikethrough can stay in place and strike a handful of coins before falling of the die.   Here is a link to a site called error-ref, there is a ton of truthful information about real and not real errors.  Link   I suggest that you spend the time to review this site thoroughly.

@Bozworth75--Although some legitimate coin dealers do sell through ebay, many of the sellers who post there have little knowledge about coins or are dishonest.  Stay away from that and similar sites!  In reality mint errors (and other coins) of any significant value are very rarely found in circulation.  If you want to be a coin collector, you need to learn basic facts about U.S. coins, as well as about mint errors, which have traditionally been the province of advanced collectors. See the following resources:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

The site mentioned by @Coinbuf, error-ref.com, provides a comprehensive overview of errors that may be most useful after you have learned the basics.

You should also try to attend coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can see a variety of coins and learn from knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, Bozworth75 said:

Just please don't. Sorry if that sounds mean to you, but you're off on a very useless tangent.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:05 PM, RWB said:

The coins are merely part of normal production. The ebay junk-sellers are people trying to take advantage of uninformed buyers who have been watching too may Zombie films. There is no collector market (or value) for these except among sheep lined up to be sheared.

BRAVO! WELL SAID! The percentage of eBay listings that are 100% complete scams has been increasing at an ever increasing rate the last few years. It's becoming as bad as Etsy. There is NOTHING good that the Internet will not soon turn bad. And they are turning the coin hobby EXTREMELY bad.

Edited by VKurtB