• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One-Shot Deal or Separate Lots?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

This topic arose when another member proposed something I had never considered: he would sell his collection(s) with the explicit proviso that  the coins comprising his set(s) not be sold intact as a single compilation.  My question to the membership is pointedly clear: what are your thoughts, if any, as to the FINAL DISPOSITION of your set?  Intact, individually, or indifferent?

Indifferent. Some of my “accumulations” would do better intact. Most of the better pieces not so. It’s a mixed bag. My son will handle it well. He’ll keep what he likes and discard the rest. If my wife and I demise together, he’ll have two really awesome cars too. We went from two dogs to two thoroughbreds in a couple of months. 

Edited by VKurtB

No big secret here for me. After I acquire one or more coins cementing my P--- compilation as virtually unsurpassable, I will, without notice (or tax credit consideration) appear unannounced at an office and request the receiver direct it to the person named as addressee. I would prefer that person, unchosen by me as of yet, will keep it intact for no other reason than to spare anyone what I had to go through in assembling it. As a practical matter, what he chooses to do with it or why, is none of my business. While I have the paperwork for every coin I acquired, the collection's valuation is of no interest to me. I am not selling it, I am giving it away.  At present, there are now 12 set registrants of my series, or to put it another way, there are nearly six times as many collectors here as there are over there. Was mine a case of obsessive-compulsion run amok? Indubitably.  The pleasure was all mine.

(Edited to reflect the fact that there are presently 70 set registrants of French 20-franc gold roosters at NGC as opposed to PCGS's 12, many of whom, as here, are no.longer active.)  

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct inaccurate comment in text.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:28 PM, Henri Charriere said:

No big secret here for me. After I acquire one or more coins cementing my P--- compilation as virtually unsurpassable, I will, without notice (or tax credit consideration) appear unannounced at an office and request the receiver direct it to the person named as addressee. I would prefer that person, unchosen by me as of yet, will keep it intact for no other reason than to spare anyone what I had to go through in assembling it. As a practical matter, what he chooses to do with it or why, is none of my business. While I have the paperwork for every coin I acquired, the collection's valuation is of no interest to me. I am not selling it, I am giving it away.  At present, there are now 77 set registrants of my series, or to put it another way, well over seven times as many collectors "over there" as there are here. Was mine a case of obsessive-compulsion run amok? Indubitably.  The pleasure was all mine.

Prepare to receive electronic communications from me in France, Scotland, England, and Ireland in September/October if I run into higher end Coq Marianne.