• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

James Dines, "Original Gold Bug" and Saint Collector, R.I.P.

1 post in this topic

Happened a bit over a year ago, but I just found out recently and didn't see any threads or posts on this. What made him different from lots of other "Gold Bugs" was that he was also a collector and had some nice gold coins, notably Saints (I believe some of them have his name on the label).

https://www.streetwisereports.com/article/2022/05/06/james-dines-the-original-goldbug-remembered-by-his-peers.html

I followed Dines in the 1980's when I was just getting into the markets. This was the decade of the investment newsletter writers, and they had the ability to move the markets: Dines, Robert Prechter, Richard Russell, Stan Weinstein, Al Frank, Robert Farrell of Merril Lynch, Elaine Garzarelli of Lehman Bros., Laslo Byrni of Salomon Brothers, etc. I saw some of them on the old Financial News Network (FNN, predecessor of today's CNBC) or the Nightly Business Report (anybody remember the humourous Paul Kangas ? :) ). He tended to be a bit too bearish overall but he did make some very good calls regarding secular moves in stocks and/or gold (though some would say this was a stopped clock being right 2 times a day)

I believe the Dines Collection is available as one of the search-topics on the Heritage Archives, I'll have to check.