• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1926 Peace Silver Dollar Minting Error?

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently inherited my fathers coin collection and started to go through the silver dollars.  I noticed on a 1926 peace dollar that there was an error on lady liberty’s head dress.  One of the blades is going in the wrong direction.  It is going from right to left and intersecting some of the other blades.  We looked at it through our coin magnifier and it is not a scratch but an actual blade that was minted incorrectly.  Has anyone else ever heard of this error?  I have been searching the internet but cannot find any errors like this one.  I have pictures of the coin if anyone is interested.  Thank you for your help!

J.K

Spoiler

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

These coins were large they suffered the same mishaps as Morgan dollars did when they pounded them out on coin press they fall into bins and as other coins fell on top of them they get gouges from the coins hitting each other that’s what it looks like to me a gouge 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on what I can see, the coin is just damaged, but it would help us to better evaluate it if you would post clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin. Please review the following topic on this forum:

First welcome to the forum and condolences on the passing of your father.   From your photos the mark appears to be incuse (cut into) the coin not extra metal laying over the other spikes.   However, when I attempt to blow up the image it gets heavily pixilated so I cannot be sure either way.   The coin is clearly circulated with many marks and cuts from the limited view of the coin in your photos.   If possible please post some higher quality photos which would make it much easier to see what is going on.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 6/12/2023 at 11:14 AM, bgrit said:

I noticed on a 1926 peace dollar that there was an error on lady liberty’s head dress.  One of the blades is going in the wrong direction.  It is going from right to left and intersecting some of the other blades.

Features on a coin, such as the spikes above Liberty's head, are cut into metal dies and there would be no way for one of the spikes to simply end up in the wrong direction.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:14 AM, bgrit said:

Hello,

I recently inherited my fathers coin collection and started to go through the silver dollars.  I noticed on a 1926 peace dollar that there was an error on lady liberty’s head dress.  One of the blades is going in the wrong direction.  It is going from right to left and intersecting some of the other blades.  We looked at it through our coin magnifier and it is not a scratch but an actual blade that was minted incorrectly.  Has anyone else ever heard of this error?  I have been searching the internet but cannot find any errors like this one.  I have pictures of the coin if anyone is interested.  Thank you for your help!

J.K

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

I'm jus' gonna sit here, sigh, and smh.