• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value Question on Morgan Dollars

17 posts in this topic

I collect Comics but thought I would post this question and see if any of you fine gents or ladies could give me a quick answer

I found these going thru some of my Dad's things and just wondering if someone could tell me if they're worth anything?

thanks for any help

Dwayne

352498994_948746683112963_2196893885690496741_n.jpg

352615854_781436700300395_3792065525771305113_n.jpg

Vets might chime in with more information, but I'll wager it was a set of circulated Morgans marketed during or after the Morgan crazes of the 1970's or 1980's.  Any dates on the printed stuff ?

I'll assume they are legit and at a minimum they are worth their silver content, just under $20 per coin if silver is a bit over $25/oz.  I doubt any have scarcity or rarity value.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:24 PM, Azkaban said:

I collect Comics

Just curious....did you see an increase in collectors during Covid, 2020-22 ?

I see that Heritage (a big coin auctioner) has some top-notch comic books for sale every now and then, ever bid on their site ?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.    

We could provide a better evaluation of these coins if you could provide clear, cropped separate photos of the obverse ("heads" side) and reverse ("tails" side) of each coin so we can determine the date, mintmark, and approximate grade (condition) of each.  It appears that at least some of the coins were harshly "cleaned" or polished leaving a pebbly surface, which would adversely affect their values. Dealers generally sell any silver dollar that isn't "cleaned" or damaged nowadays for at least $35 and would probably pay at least $20-$25 for even the most common dates.

This appears to be a "one of each mint" set sold by a mass marketer. The Carson City coin ("CC" on the reverse below the wreath and above "D" and "O" of DOLLAR) would be worth a premium if the coin isn't too impaired.  From what I can see it would be one of the two coins that appear to be dated "1878".  An 1878-CC in Fine or Very Fine condition has a retail value of $175 to $200, but I would need the separate photos of each side of the coin for a more educated opinion.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:46 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just curious....did you see an increase in collectors during Covid, 2020-22 ?

I see that Heritage (a big coin auctioner) has some top-notch comic books for sale every now and then, ever bid on their site ?

lots of buying during covid, I ran a big thread over in the CGC chat boards 

On 6/12/2023 at 8:14 AM, Sandon said:

We could provide a better evaluation of these coins if you could provide clear, cropped separate photos of the obverse ("heads" side) and reverse ("tails" side) of each coin so we can determine the date, mintmark, and approximate grade (condition) of each.  It appears that at least some of the coins were harshly "cleaned" or polished leaving a pebbly surface, which would adversely affect their values. Dealers generally sell any silver dollar that isn't "cleaned" or damaged nowadays for at least $35 and would probably pay at least $20-$25 for even the most common dates.

This appears to be a "one of each mint" set sold by a mass marketer. The Carson City coin ("CC" on the reverse below the wreath and above "D" and "O" of DOLLAR) would be worth a premium if the coin isn't too impaired.  From what I can see it would be one of the two coins that appear to be dated "1878".  An 1878-CC in Fine or Very Fine condition has a retail value of $175 to $200, but I would need the separate photos of each side of the coin for a more educated opinion.

I'll go back over to my Mom's and get them and take some better pics (thumbsu I'll try to get over tomorrow and post them tomorrow night

thanks again

On 6/12/2023 at 8:14 AM, Sandon said:

okay here are some scanned pics of the front and backs if these aren't good enough let me know and I'll get some with the wife's phone (thumbsu

img213.thumb.jpg.949e3311ff1070054364387fa1606c6b.jpg

img214.thumb.jpg.7a3a42ded53d59fae8055848b3e74683.jpg

Edited by Azkaban

Unfortunately, these distant, blurry photos don't allow us to evaluate the condition or even be sure of the mint mark on each of these coins. The photos we would need would be separate cropped photos of each side of each coin, something like this:

1880-CCdollarobv..thumb.jpg.d18422d6249b2f26298b85fd206ff15c.jpg

1880-CCdollarrev..thumb.jpg.c7093e7bafa7fbaf0192bd1ee0c26227.jpg

They don't need to be this large, but do the best you can.

Here are the OP's scans after tightening and the limited enhancement allowed by excess compression artifacts.

Image2.thumb.jpg.5edb0adbde850fe4e1a1aa7e4fb7d445.jpg

Image1.jpg

Reading from top left:

1921-S; 1921-D

1878-P; 1900-O

1878-CC

Conditions range from G to VF. Little or no collector premium on any of the coins.

Edited by RWB

On 6/14/2023 at 10:06 AM, Sandon said:

Unfortunately, these distant, blurry photos don't allow us to evaluate the condition or even be sure of the mint mark on each of these coins. The photos we would need would be separate cropped photos of each side of each coin, something like this:

1880-CCdollarobv..thumb.jpg.d18422d6249b2f26298b85fd206ff15c.jpg

1880-CCdollarrev..thumb.jpg.c7093e7bafa7fbaf0192bd1ee0c26227.jpg

They don't need to be this large, but do the best you can.

okay I think I finally got better pics here you go :grin:

all of these are plain collector grade between F and XF.  not much value to them, mostly just silver content.  anywhere from 20 - 30 dollars these days. 

Edited by JT2
sp

Two of these coins, the 1878 with no mint mark (Philadelphia mint), which is of the somewhat scarcer "7 tailfeathers, Reverse of 1879" variety, and the 1878-CC, would have some premium value; but, unfortunately, all of the coins appear to have been severely "cleaned", probably with silver polish. The 1878 has About Uncirculated details and would have had a retail value of $80 or more if unimpaired. The 1878-CC has Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated details and has a retail value of $225-$300 if unimpaired. I would reduce these values by half due to the "cleaning", and, of course, a dealer would pay a third or more less than that. The other three coins, a 1900-O, 1921-D, and 1921-S, are common dates with Extremely Fine or so details. They would be worth $35 or so apiece retail if unimpaired and probably would sell for around $20-$25 as "cleaned" examples. 

@JT2--I'd like to know where to buy even well circulated Morgan dollars for "$10 to $30" nowadays. My coin club would very much like to be able to obtain them for the lower end of these prices to use as door prizes. Their silver value today is $18.45.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, Sandon said:

d like to know where to buy even well circulated Morgan dollars for "$10 to $30" nowadays. My coin club would very much like to be able to obtain them for the lower end of these prices to use as door prizes. Their silver value today is $18.45.

Sorry bubba that should have been 20 my fat fingers and all