• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Strange 1944 Wheat Penny
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was helping my friend look through his old pennies and he turned the pages of his collector book to the 1944s and showed me a very strange penny. It has both obverse and reverse ides of the coin on one side and nothing on the other. 

I'm not asking to sell it or for a verified US dollar value I just want to know if anyone can help me get an idea how rare is this coin what this you call this type of error.

IMG_20230607_035834965_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_035902617_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_035853529_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_035834965_HDR.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

These are known as a vise job. The coin was damaged after it left the mint. They are made by pressing/smashing coins together. Note how the word CENT is reversed. They are not rare and don't have any value. 

I'm not going to say you're wrong because I'm new to this concept, but from a logical based point of view if two coins got smashed together as you say wouldn't it damage the date? in the pictures the date is pretty clear it doesn't seem to be smashed. The way the letters line up with the numbers I would assume that the date would have been destroyed when these two got smashed together there's no way it would have survived. When you put a penny through a coin flattener it completely erases the image I can't imagine anything of either image would be left at all. I don't know again I'm not saying you're wrong but it just don't make sense to me. 

There would be certain areas untouched if they fell on the fields ( low spots) of the coin.  
Agree that what you have is a vise job. A novelty with no value.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your coin appears to have been mutilated by being squeezed against another coin and is not a mint error. The date is still clear because, as @Greenstang stated, the raised details and lettering of the other coin exerted more pressure on your coin than did the more recessed areas of its fields.

The number of occurrences during the production process that can result in a mint error are limited, while the occurrences that can result in damage that a coin can receive after it leaves the mint are limitless.  To learn more about the minting process and mint errors, see the following resources:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive overview of mint errors, see the website error-ref.com.

I answered a duplicate post before I saw this one that had responses, so I won't repeat everything that I wrote. I will just say I agree with the damage diagnosis. (I think it was a "train job" rather than a vise job.)

Edited by Just Bob

On 6/8/2023 at 12:06 PM, Just Bob said:

... I think it was a "train job" rather than a vice job

I assume by "train job" you are referring to putting a coin between two others so that impressions from the outer coins are transferred to the middle coin with great pressure.  Difficult to do well since they move.

I remember messing around as a kid with putting various coins or a few of them stacked on train rails.  Some interesting impressions.  Older copper cents were the best for flattening out from multiple passes since copper is so soft.  But it's pretty obvious when you have a vise job or train job coin.

Edited by EagleRJO