• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brand new here, hoping for help/info about this old snuff vessel made from chinese coins
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have an old snuff vessel that i know nothing about.  I took photos of this and put it on the Chinese/Japanese fb group for help and was told this vessel is made from "coins".  I had no idea.   I was told the one with the car is a 1928 Auto Dollar and the other is an 1895 pure silver Guangxu Yuanbao Kuping.   When i got it, i just thought it was unique looking, i took a silver polish cloth and tried to rub it clean some because it looks like tarnished silver.  (i didn't know these were coins).  Some photos were taken with a light shining on it directly to show details. The vessel isn't bright as you see with my light shining on it, it's muted... My question is can someone tell me if these are fake coins?  I am obviously not able to weigh them or show reverse.  I am going to buy a borescope/light so i can see inside.  I read these coins are faked a lot.  Hoping someone can tell?  This piece is heavy, was shocked at the heft.  Thought it was a perfume bottle when i bought it but then saw the little "spoon".  A magnet does not stick to it.  I read the car coin is not pure silver but other side was.  Thank you in advance, April

autocoin2.jpg

autocoin1.jpg

autocoin3.jpg

autocoin4.jpg

autocoin5.jpg

autocoin6.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Alpha Hotel April

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your images. I am not able to identify or authenticate coins via photos. Obtaining the professional opinion of the NGC grading team requires submission. You can learn more about how to submit coins here: NGC Coins | How to submit.

Please remember that submission would require removal from where the coins are currently mounted. We cannot evaluate coins that are mounted into jewelry or other items. 

You may want to consider having this item reviewed by fellow collectors or local coin dealers. They may be able to provide some guidance. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thank you so much for this info.  I do not wish to destroy this old snuff bottle in order to see the coins so i'll just let my curiosity about the thing go...lol.   I appreciate the tips as I would not know who to show it to.  Thank you kindly

On 6/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, Alpha Hotel April said:

I have an old snuff vessel that i know nothing about.  I took photos of this and put it on the Chinese/Japanese fb group for help and was told this vessel is made from "coins".  I had no idea.   I was told the one with the car is a 1928 Auto Dollar and the other is an 1895 pure silver Guangxu Yuanbao Kuping.   

Welcome to the forum. You have a very interesting looking piece. Those are, in fact, coins, although, judging by the difference in details between them and genuine specimens and the overall mushiness of the design, I don't think either of them is real. They also have that typical "Chinese Fake" artificial patina look about them. Regardless, any numismatic value that they might have had, had they been genuine, has been diminished by them being soldered and mounted. Still, it is a cool conversation piece, and definitely a nice find.

Interesting fact about the Auto Dollar: the man who commissioned the coin had his name hidden in the design. Here is a short article about it: Click here.

Judging by the size, I think the other coin is supposed to be a 1 Yuan (7 Mace and 2 Candareens.) I don't read Chinese, though, and I can't find an exact match on Numista.

Hi and thank you...the other side of the coin was identified on the Chinese antiques fb group as a 1895 Guangxu Yuanbao Kuping and it says "pure silver or fine silver" i forget which.   I think it's wild someone made a snuff bottle out of coins.  If they are "fake"  I wonder from when? I am the one that probably made them look fake aged because i used a polish cloth and really tried to clean up this piece before i knew they were coins.  I couldn't get in the nooks and crannies so it left black smudging all in between and the rest cleaned up ok....  weather they are fake or real, i just think it's a cool piece.  I know there's not any "coin value" because you can't see the other side and it's been mounted but it's still a whimsical piece. :)