• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Strange 1944 Wheat Penny
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I was helping my friend look through his old pennies and he turned the pages of his collector book to the 1944s and showed me a very strange penny. It has both obverse and reverse ides of the coin on one side and nothing on the other. 

I'm not asking to sell it or for a verified US dollar value I just want to know if anyone can help me get an idea how rare is this coin what this you call this type of error.

IMG_20230607_035834965_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_035853529_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230607_035902617_HDR.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Treasure Magnet

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your images. I am not able to identify or authenticate coins via photos. Obtaining the professional opinion of the NGC grading team requires submission. You can learn more about how to submit coins here: NGC Coins | How to submit.

In cases of unusual finds, you may want to consider having the coin reviewed by fellow collectors or local coin dealers. Unusual coin features may be defects caused by environmental damage. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Welcome to the forum.

While it is remotely possible that the coin was struck outside its collar by a capped die - that is when a coin fails to eject after being struck, and instead sticks to the die, becoming a "die" itself, and transferring its lettering and design backwards onto the next blank planchet - it is far more likely that this coin and another coin were placed on a railroad track and run over by a train. That impressed the reverse design of the other coin - backwards -onto the obverse of this coin, and completely flattened the design on the other (reverse) side. It also partially flattened this coin into an oval shape. It is a novelty, but it is just damaged, in my opinion.