• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's what the lady adjusters did all day, every day

3 posts in this topic

San Francisco Mint February 1904. Table of planchets weighed and adjusted (filed or rejected). The first person, Allen, was only average but examined a new silver dollar planchet once every 8.8 seconds -- 528 per hour. The best adjusters completed almost twice as many in the same time.

19040229SFAdjusterworkperhourFebruary.thumb.jpg.b562e7bfadd74456c92195420e535853.jpg

I shall assume Gold & Silver, ahem, "Gatherer" Ivancovich, had the appropriate security clearance.  🤣

All jokes aside, I believe the membership appreciates the seldom seen fruits of labor of those who toiled in complete anonymity were it not for the work of researchers engaged in a continuing commitment to furthering the body of knowledge in this hobby.

Very occasionally, an adjuster "jumps out" because she complains, or did not play well with others. But I've never seen anything relating to theft. The ladies brought food from home and prepared it for lunch in a small kitchen. (See From Mine to Mint for photos, etc., and a detailed description of adjuster life - written by a female photographer.)

Edited by RWB