• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1840 seated liberty
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello all! I have a 1840 seated liberty one dollar in what I consider very good condition. Is it worth it for me to get it graded? What value does my coin have? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would say it would be worth getting graded.  
It would probably be worth $4-500.00 in VG condition.  
If it was in better condition it would be worth 5 figures.

On 6/4/2023 at 4:46 AM, Greenstang said:

I would say it would be worth getting graded.  
It would probably be worth $4-500.00 in VG condition.  
If it was in better condition it would be worth 5 figures.

We must be looking at very different price guides. On Numismedia I show these getting about $330 in VG, which I agree is the appropriate grade. I think most of the forum would grade it F and some would even drop it a breathless VF, but it doesn't meet all the F grade standards in my ANA guide.

Welcome to the forum, I have to disagree with the idea of submitting this coin for grading.   The reverse shows a significant scrape/damage across the wings and shield, in my opinion that should disqualify the coin from a straight grade.   However, the TPG's and I do not always agree on grade, should you decide to submit for grading please come back and update with your results.

For comparison here is the photograde F15 example, which is what I think your coin grades (except for the damage) with a shot at VF20.   Not too much recent auction data for this date/condition, but $400 for a TPG graded F15 seems very much in the ballpark from what I see in what auction data is available, you would likely get offers of closer to $300 from a dealer, those numbers are assuming a straight grade and could be less for a details grade.

image.png.fbb3e34287ad0394288450bc62a90af1.png

This 1840 Liberty Seated dollar appears to be genuine and to have about Very Fine details but would likely come back "details" graded due to several significant reverse scrapes.  I can't be sure from the photos that it wouldn't be considered to have been "cleaned" as well.  It's questionable whether it would be worthy of third-party grading, but if you decide to do so you shouldn't submit it yourself unless you have several other coins to submit at the "Standard" ($40) tier. NGC charges a $10 processing fee per order regardless of size and a $28 return shipping fee for up to ten coins, so submitting this as a single coin order would cost you $78 plus your expense to ship it to NGC. If you don't have anything else to submit, you should consider submitting it through an NGC authorized dealer who might be able to submit it less expensively.

The main reason to submit it would be to authenticate it rather than grade it.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am in the VF camp as far as the details on this coin. It appears to be genuine but attribution might be to solidify that as fact. I note some hits on the reverse, but of more concern to me is it might just be the photo (hard to tell without the coin in hand) if there is some rim damage, and I also would not rule out that the coin has been cleaned in the past and has retoned some. I would expect a details grade which will impact the overall value and drop it to somewhere in the F to VG range ($250-300). I also agree that this coin should be part of a larger submission as to not incur excessive costs compared to having it graded as a singular submission.