• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World coin. China?

6 posts in this topic

This has been in my collection for over 40 years and I know nothing about it. Could use some help with country, date and meaning of the writing on the coin. An idea of value would be cool if possible.

Image_1722.JPG

Image_1723.JPG

Prices range from as low as $20 to $50 to as much as $99. presumably due to date (mine I was told was either 1857, or the 1850's and looks exactly like yours) condition, and source bought from with shipping costs extra, on eBay or Mercanti.

On 6/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, RWB said:

1835 - 1869 100 Mon (Tempo Tsuho) Japanese Shogunate period token. Common good-luck charm or temple offering In Japan. Brass or copper. Lower photo is upside down.

Asians I have spoken to today confirm all the details you have provided, including the expressions of Gook Luck.  I Googled "Tempo Tsuho," and found 49 being offered for sale. I bought mine for a pittance (bargain box price) at an open-air flea market in the 1970's and was told it was bronze and the  square hole was to enable hanging on a line or stacking on a wooden dowel. All cautioned that the series is rife with counterfeits, but the OP's appears to be authentic. (He may wish to consider the online listings to get a feel for where his fits in relative to price and condition.)  I believe they are generally referred to as "Japan Tempo Tsuho 100 Mon cash coins."

Edited by Henri Charriere
Additional info.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Prices range from as low as $20 to $50 to as much as $99. presumably due to date (mine I was told was either 1857, or the 1850's and looks exactly like yours) condition, and source bought from with shipping costs extra, on eBay or Mercanti.

I sold a couple at the last FUN Show and was only able to get something like $12 for each very decent example.