• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "AR/BRONZE" refer to on a certification?

7 posts in this topic

I'm currently looking at a token which is listed as "AR/BRONZE" on the insert by NGC, and was wondering what this referred to. Does it mean some kind of silvering or silver-plating on bronze?

NGC also lists some other items as "SILVERED-BRONZE".

Edited by Zoins

• AR: Silver (ranging from high purity to +/- 25% pure)/Bronze

All ancient coins were produced using metal planchets. Since the compositions of these planchets vary, they will be described using the following abbreviations:

• AV: Gold (high purity)
  • AR: Silver (ranging from high purity to +/- 25% pure)
  • AE: Copper and its alloys (bronze, brass, leaded-bronze, etc.)
  • EL: Electrum (an alloy consisting principally of gold and silver)
  • BI: Billon or 'Potin' (heavily debased silver coins)
  • NI: Nickel composition
  • Plated: Plated/Fourrée (base metal core with a thick gold or silver plating)

Edited by Zebo

Does this mean AR/BRONZE an alloy of Silver and Bronze with Silver being 25% pure to high purity?

Edited by Zoins

Apparently 25% of the coin is bronze, an alloy comprised of copper and tin. The term "high purity" is undefined. In ancient coins I would not expect any silver content to approach must less exceed sterling, .925, but it seems the use of these descriptors by NGC suggests it has access to a device capable of making these determinations.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:44 PM, RWB said:

NGC should know what they meant.

I can only speculate that because "the compositions of these planchets vary," they can only go so far as to say "high purity," on ancients.