• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading error..by NGC
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, ldhair said:

Hope you decide to hang out here. This may seem like a tough crowd but it's really all about being sure that the correct information is being posted. We may argue but at the end the truth is there. Feel free to post about your other coins. 

I'll try but asking questions don't mean your stupid...and I just don't want that if I ask a question...everything I talked about previously was all accurate..

On 6/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, PastorKen said:

I'll try but asking questions don't mean your stupid

I came on here with 40+ years in the hobby. I started asking questions. It became apparent very quickly how much some of the members on here know and how little I actually did know. I am sure those on here could have easily labelled me as "stupid", but they did not. As it goes, that term really doesn't apply here. I would say in this hobby it is more "uninformed" as it is important to ask those questions to advance your knowledge. I myself have never been afraid to ask anything of anyone, because to me it is the only way to learn something you do not know. And this forum is the place to come to learn the true facts. The volunteers on here truly want to help advance the hobby.

On 6/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, PastorKen said:

That was very nice of you ..

It was distant family, and I had the proper religious texts. I felt it was a duty. 

On 6/3/2023 at 2:37 PM, PastorKen said:

I'll try but asking questions don't mean your stupid...and I just don't want that if I ask a question...everything I talked about previously was all accurate..

Asking questions is how we all learn.  I learn from the veterans here and like to reciprocate when I can help others.

The only thing that tends to get our hair to stand on end is when someone INSISTS that, despite their lack of experience in this field, they have a coin worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and when we disagree, they insist they know better (then why come here in the first place ? xD ).

We have some super-valuable posters here and some great threads with INVALUABLE information. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/4/2023 at 12:07 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Asking questions is how we all learn.  I learn from the veterans here and like to reciprocate when I can help others.

The only thing that tends to get our hair to stand on hand is when someone INSISTS that, despite their lack of experience in this field, they have a coin worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and when we disagree, they insist they know better (then why come here in the first place ? xD ).

We have some super-valuable posters here and some great threads with INVALUABLE information. (thumbsu

I apologize for the miscommunication and I know there are some knowledgeable people here I just didn't understand how they can make a mistake on a grade but there's no consequence for it like I've said before you can find a penny with a small error most would miss ( and that's if it's real) but if ngc makes a mistake it's no big deal ... but again no disrespect to anyone I just wanted clarity on what my options are ..I'll end up just keeping it ...oh btw I've had a pearl Harbor Tribute set for years ...now it contains the 43 steel cent (which I have many of ) and it's near mint also a silver nickle with the reverse p mint mark and then a 45 S penny ...should I break up that set amd encapsulate the coins..?....I actually found an old Philly mint bag full of steel cents ..alot were rusted but nearly half were in great shape ...idk if they were circulation coins or not 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, VKurtB said:

It was distant family, and I had the proper religious texts. I felt it was a duty. 

My sister is getting married in FL in Oct...I live in NE PA and she wanted me to officiate the wedding but I refuse to get on a plane and my knees are getting too bad to make that drive so she's mad but she'll get over it ..lol

On 6/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, powermad5000 said:

And this forum is the place to come to learn the true facts. The volunteers on here truly want to help advance the hobby.

I'm biased as I started the thread and it's in my core area of interest (double eagles/Saints) in coins...but the 80-pages (!) and going thread on Roger Burdette's Saints Book in the U.S. section is a great example of where you can interact with experts (and an author) and extract lots of information and have good, interesting debates and back-and-forth. 

Nothing like it in any other forum that I've seen by a longshot. (thumbsu

That's an example of the kind of information that one can get from these forums that really can't be duplicated elsewhere from other places, books, etc....unless one was to spend a day with an expert in the field or a prominent collector. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm biased as I started the thread and it's in my core area of interest (double eagles/Saints) in coins...but the 80-pages (!) and going thread on Roger Burdette's Saints Book in the U.S. section is a great example of where you can interact with experts (and an author) and extract lots of information and have good, interesting debates and back-and-forth. 

Nothing like it in any other forum that I've seen by a longshot. (thumbsu

That's an example of the kind of information that one can get from these forums that really can't be duplicated elsewhere from other places, books, etc....unless one was to spend a day with an expert in the field or a prominent collector. xD

Ok thanks...

On 6/4/2023 at 11:55 AM, PastorKen said:

Dam I really don't want to write that out again...lol

No ill delete the thread if ya'll want me too....I'll start a conversation in the correct area next time ..lol but I know ya'll don't want to keep using this thread 

On 6/4/2023 at 3:17 AM, PastorKen said:

My sister is getting married in FL in Oct...I live in NE PA and she wanted me to officiate the wedding but I refuse to get on a plane and my knees are getting too bad to make that drive so she's mad but she'll get over it ..lol

In Alabama, literally anyone, or no one at all, can officiate at a wedding. There is no requirement for any ceremony or signatures. In Alabama, all you need is a sworn statement from the spouses filed with the local Probate Judge.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, VKurtB said:

In Alabama, literally anyone, or no one at all, can officiate at a wedding. There is no requirement for any ceremony or signatures. In Alabama, all you need is a sworn statement from the spouses filed with the local Probate Judge.

Well it's the south not surprised...lol

On 6/5/2023 at 1:10 AM, PastorKen said:

Well it's the south not surprised...lol

It’s that way because some elected Probate Judges refused to sign marriage certificates for those newfangled kinds of marriages. So now they don’t get to sign ANYTHING. The same office that you file the marriage certificate also issues car license plates. What do they have in common? Frequent front end and rear end body damage. LOL! Same person handles election administration, too. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/5/2023 at 5:34 PM, Just Bob said:

That isn't typical for the South, as far as I know. When I got married in Mississippi, you had to have a blood test, file and pay for a marriage license, and wait three days before getting married. You also had to have a licensed minister or justice of the peace perform the ceremony.

Do you know why you used to need a blood test before getting married...? They don't require it anymore but they used to do it to make sure one or both spouses have RH+ or RH- blood because they don't mix 

On 6/6/2023 at 3:16 AM, PastorKen said:

Do you know why you used to need a blood test before getting married...? They don't require it anymore but they used to do it to make sure one or both spouses have RH+ or RH- blood because they don't mix 

Sorry a little fact for ya'll....I always say try to learn something new everyday because I'm a big believer in knowledge is power 

On 6/6/2023 at 8:51 AM, Just Bob said:

Actually, the blood test was for syphilis.

Yes but mainly to make sure you didn't have a RH+ spouse...now that they've done more research on the RH factor they've found its mostly found in one specific group of people so the risk isn't as bad as originally thought but I'm not disagreeing on the syphilis they also tested for that too

Syphilis. I needed one for my first marriage, but not my second. The county official who takes those reports was also my Best Man.

On 6/6/2023 at 6:10 AM, PastorKen said:

Sorry a little fact for ya'll....I always say try to learn something new everyday because I'm a big believer in knowledge is power 

In your case I guess that would be  Pew Power.;)

On 6/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, rrantique said:

In your case I guess that would be  Pew Power.;)

With at least three instances of profanity masking by the OP, I am not one hundred percent convinced they he really is a pastor- at least not the kind I am familiar with.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, Just Bob said:

With at least three instances of profanity masking by the OP, I am not one hundred percent convinced they he really is a pastor- at least not the kind I am familiar with.

Remember Reverend Jim from Taxi?

IMG_0570.png.4a304ede2379ab4424f9ddef8301157e.png

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/14/2023 at 12:02 AM, Just Bob said:

I never watched that show. I don't think I even owned a TV during that time.

Started in 1978 (just this past Tuesday) and ran five years.

IMG_0159.thumb.webp.7ac3e2fcf7accbb5f647318e685a01be.webp

On 6/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, VKurtB said:

[So quickie divorces in the Dominican Republic and Alabama for less bureaucratic marriages. Good to know now that I'm on the cusp of The Seven-Year Itch."]  🤣

On 6/16/2023 at 5:40 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[So quickie divorces in the Dominican Republic and Alabama for less bureaucratic marriages. Good to know now that I'm on the cusp of The Seven-Year Itch."]  🤣

Oh no. No way. Divorces are as expensive here as anywhere.

Interestingly, unmentioned by all, but quite meaningful to me, the total number of grades accorded that date ASE was 97,215, no doubt having exceeded mile marker 100,000 since. And we haven't even broached the subject of First Strikes, signed First Strikes, Top Ten Strikes (only kidding, but you get the idea).