• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coining suspension New Orleans Mint, 1904
1 1

9 posts in this topic

If it'd've been me, I would have been honored to be offered the privilege to "grind up the sweeps and clean up" the melter's and refiner's department" of the Mint of the United States at New Orleans and would have accepted same and discharged my duties responsibly and "on the arm," i.e., for free, at no cost to the government.

Your humble & obedient servant, etc.

🤣

P.S.  Great piece of research!

All sweeps and other bits and pieces -- even gold and silver from hand washing by the adjusters -- went back to M&R to reduce wastage to the bare minimum.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:13 PM, RWB said:

All sweeps and other bits and pieces -- even gold and silver from hand washing by the adjusters -- went back to M&R to reduce wastage to the bare minimum.

True, but they would have had to pay employees to do it.  I would have done it for bupkis.  Guess I was born in the wrong century. 🤣

On 5/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, RWB said:

Don't forget the septic well for the latrines... :)

The entirety of New Orleans still smells like that. 

[Off the record... I got the heebie-jeebees when the topic came up and the word "suspension" leapt out at me!  I said, "What now? I tell you, it ain't easy being me!]  🤣