• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I submit this coin for grading

4 posts in this topic

I dug a Lepidus coin from 42 BC by Cromer England in 1999.  The museum sent it to me after a couple of months.  It had been in the ground for 2000 years it is not in great condition.  It does have an "o" stamped on the reverse to to show it is not counterfeit.  At least that is what the guy told me who was from the British Museum.  If it is worth anything I have to declare a value to send it to be graded but have no idea what that might be.  The local coin dealer scanned it at Au 0.273  Ag 97.51  Fe 1.46  Cu  0.626.  I will attach a couple of photos and any help would be appreciated. 

20230524_191452LepidusOB320x240.jpg

20230524_191508.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have a few ancients in my collection and I can share some of my very limited knowledge on them (I only bought slabbed ancients). The little basic I know is they are graded on strike and surface when the coin is above VF grade. I have not seen an ancients slab with the term "environmental damage" on it (possibly someone else has?) As for value, what I have noticed is that the ancients that command value in the marketplace are those of well known historic figures (think Caeser, Cleopatra, Romulus, etc.) Many of the rest to me it seems regardless of age or of the figure depicted are worth anywhere in a range of $60-$200 with only prime unworn specimens getting premium dollar. The ancients market since the pandemic began has seem to have seen a significant increase in demand so prices have steadily rose for the last few years.

And that's about all I know about ancients. I am sure someone else on here will be much more helpful than myself.

I suspect that the counterstamp O would render the coin as damaged and not gradable, but as above I am not well versed in ancients so hopefully another member with more experience can chime in.

The question is should you submit it for grading. The default answer is no because about 99.8% of the coins people want to submit for grading should not be, and nothing jumps out about this one that would make me question that. However, I haven't even tried attributing it because no one has asked that.