• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Election starts tomorrow
1 1

24 posts in this topic

The ANA electronic ballots should be availed staring tomorrow and the paper ballots should be in the mail. The candidate write-ups are in this month’s Numismatist. Going over the candidates, I am finding it easier to choose than last election. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Zebo
Typo

On 5/24/2023 at 4:57 PM, Zebo said:

The ANA electronic ballots should be availed staring tomorrow and the paper ballots should be in the mail. The candidate write-ups are in this month’s Numismatist. Going over the candidates, I am finding it easier to choose than last election. 

Thlughts?

...i dont have any thlughts, not sure what they r, but my thoughts r pretty much aligned with those expressed by Vkurt as to desired credentials...the organization needs a good mix of individuals with some business background at least managerial or administrative, having museum or curatorial experiences would be a big positive, educational n outreach oriented attitudes r in short supply n would fit the basic principles of the organization's constitution, strong collecting experiences r virtually mandatory...the covid period slowed almost all activities to a stand still but that time has passed n the various aspects of the organization should be up n running n striving for improvements not just status quo, it seems to me that the Numismatist is struggling to find authors that generate interest in the hobby, it has lost a few of the best ones in the past year n while some recent articles have been very good some have been just so-so...the Numismatist is the organization's primary tool for outreach n growth, perhaps it needs an infusion of funding n support, electing governors that endorse this would be a positive step forward....

...ANA ballot arrived in mail today, everyone else who is a member should be receiving theirs as well...this is a pivotal election, every vote counts, members who r on this forum should insure that they cast their votes n not just discard their ballots....

Exactly - electronic ballots are also available. If you don’t vote - don’t complain!

My ballot came in the mail today. It came with a nice statement about each candidate. That's a big help for me. It was fun to read about Patrick McBride. He is the only one I have ever meet. He dresses as Benjamin Franklin at the Fun Show and talks with the kids and adults about coins and history. I feel he would make a great Governor but I still need to study more about those that are running. 

On 5/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, ldhair said:

My ballot came in the mail today. It came with a nice statement about each candidate. That's a big help for me. It was fun to read about Patrick McBride. He is the only one I have ever meet. He dresses as Benjamin Franklin at the Fun Show and talks with the kids and adults about coins and history. I feel he would make a great Governor but I still need to study more about those that are running. 

I liked him as well. But if you look in this months Numismatist there are also write ups. Are they the same - don’t know as I haven’t open the mail yet.

Playing an historical character is not necessarily a qualification for the association board. Look for people who have experience outside of coin collecting and who also do not have a business bias in what the board and administration does. Look for management, organization, innovation, fiscal responsibility, open-mindedness, ability to absorb and assimilate cultural and communication changes, determination to establish and accomplish positive goals, and the ability to direct association management to productive, efficient operations.

Now -- how many candidates have some of these characteristics?

On 5/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, RWB said:

Playing an historical character is not necessarily a qualification for the association board.

I think I will let those that know the candidates do the voting. My opinion is worthless.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, ldhair said:

My opinion is worthless.

No. Your opinion and those of others are important, but they are best when formed on your investigation, experience, and truthful statements not rumor or how they cut their hair.

Still no ballots or notices received by anyone in my family - me, my wife, my son, nor my daughter-in-law. I am supposed to vote electronically.  Nothing received at all.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, Zebo said:

Thoughts?

Still nothing.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, ldhair said:

I think I will let those that know the candidates do the voting. My opinion is worthless.

You need to vote. All the qualities Roger points out are very important, but so are passion and a strong desire to educate. Each board member should bring some of these qualifications to the table - they do not necessarily need to be the same, however. What do you want the ANA to look like and achieve? 

On 5/28/2023 at 7:00 AM, Zebo said:

You need to vote. All the qualities Roger points out are very important, but so are passion and a strong desire to educate. Each board member should bring some of these qualifications to the table - they do not necessarily need to be the same, however. What do you want the ANA to look like and achieve? 

...the one salient point that is not needed is board members coming to the table with self-serving agendas....

On 5/28/2023 at 8:45 AM, zadok said:

...the one salient point that is not needed is board members coming to the table with self-serving agendas....

But you end up seeing that A WHOLE BUNCH, especially among candidates who do numismatics for a living in any capacity. It’s a darned tough business, and self-benefitting is almost too easy and too tempting. How tough is this business? I found a nice stack of numismatic business cards Friday. I went through them one by one searching out their websites. Very few even exist anymore. And this is just a few years. It’s a fly-by-night, here today, gone tomorrow sort of field. I’ve NEVER done numismatics as a business, but I am now into Year 61 as a serious collector. I am not voting for ANYONE who does this for a living… IF I ever get my ballot.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/28/2023 at 11:50 AM, VKurtB said:

But you end up seeing that A WHOLE BUNCH, especially among candidates who do numismatics for a living in any capacity. It’s a darned tough business, and self-benefitting is almost too easy and too tempting. How tough is this business? I found a nice stack of numismatic business cards Friday. I went through them one by one searching out their websites. Very few even exist anymore. And this is just a few years. It’s a fly-by-night, here today, gone tomorrow sort of field. I’ve NEVER done numismatics as a business, but I am now into Year 61 as a serious collector. I am not voting for ANYONE who does this for a living… IF I ever get my ballot.

Mail by Camel? You sure you aren’t blackballed? 

Sounds a lot like lawyers who putrefy Congress.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:08 AM, Zebo said:

Mail by Camel? You sure you aren’t blackballed? 

Still nothing about the election in my inbox or mailbox. I note parenthetically that they had no problem whatsoever getting me my Donor/Patron fundraising letter. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, RWB said:

Sounds a lot like lawyers who putrefy Congress.

I served a multi-year Chairman of the Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee, and he was not a lawyer. I was his main “bean counter” looking over the Judiciary’s (over bloated) budget requests. My counterpoint on the “other side of the aisle” died in her late 40’s from a stroke. I had one, too, at age 54, but I survived out of sheer spite. That and an experimental drug being trialed at my hospital for just such injuries. 

Edited by VKurtB

.... I am not voting for ANYONE who does this for a living… IF I ever get my ballot.

His name does not appear on any ballot now--and Chat Board Guidelines explicitly forbid any mention of his (or anyone else's) name ostensibly for political purposes--but the man you want who is eminently qualified to take numismatics in an entirely new, self-sustaining direction for the benefit of all, hobbyists as well as the public at large, is presently a sleeper and a real L-O-N-G shot who'll very likely lose the consequential November election to come.  Without substantive support from key, influential sources in Washington, D.C., no one candidate on the ANA ballot can be expected to effect meaningful change. If what you've written is the way you feel, members ought to pay heed because you have the extensive legislative experience to, pardon the street slang, "back the woof."

On 5/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

His name does not appear on any ballot now--and Chat Board Guidelines explicitly forbid any mention of his (or anyone else's) name ostensibly for political purposes--but the man you want who is eminently qualified to take numismatics in an entirely new, self-sustaining direction for the benefit of all, hobbyists as well as the public at large, is presently a sleeper and a real L-O-N-G shot who'll very likely lose the consequential November election to come.  Without substantive support from key, influential sources in Washington, D.C., no one candidate on the ANA ballot can be expected to effect meaningful change. If what you've written is the way you feel, members ought to pay heed because you have the extensive legislative experience to, pardon the street slang, "back the woof."

I am heartened immensely that the next President of the ANA, in whose hands an astonishing amount of power and influence is placed, will be Tom Uram. He is an amazing man. 

On 5/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, VKurtB said:

I am heartened immensely that the next President of the ANA, in whose hands an astonishing amount of power and influence is placed, will be Tom Uram. He is an amazing man. 

Well, to borrow a phrase from the pit bosses, "I'm from Missouri. He'll have to Show Me!"  🤣

...i have collected since age 8 with my grandfather n became a serious numismatist collector in 1972, i can only strongly echo ur comments on the fly-by-night participants, there have been hundreds prob couple thousand "dealers" names i have seen n then disappeared, they, for the most part, werent real dealers they were opportunists who came into the hobby for the quik easy buck, mostly taking advantage of the next "hot" item...i equate those type dealers with the dealers that show up for the major coin shows for the dealers day transactions n disappear...a board of governors who r collectors just mite tighten the screws on these individuals n screen them out relegating them to the retail attendees crowd, it would only take a handful of governors who were p***ed off over the years by these ghost dealers to make that happen...dont get me wrong, i totally support the true dealers who have been in the hobby for years n provide credible service n respect for the hobby, without them it would just be collectors trading among collectors...this is a symbiotic hobby the collectors need the dealers n the dealers need the collectors n their needs to be mutual respect, the long time collectors know who the collector centered dealers r n they support those dealers, the smart collectors know who to avoid...but the ANA has a role to play n a non-collector based board does not provide for that role....

Tom Uram AND Patrick McBride both played absolutely critical roles in making the tribute Morgan and Peace dollar program happen. Now I think it has morphed into something excessive, but most collectors seem to like it.  As a former CCAC Chairman, Uram is well-connected to do some good at the ANA. 

Edited by VKurtB