• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2 Cents on this Matter. . .
1 1

4 posts in this topic

So, based on the varieties of 1865, the pictured coin seems to be a "Plain 5" variety.  The only other option is a "Fancy 5" variety.  When I review the NGC census page, it indicates 900+ 1865 coins have been graded and for the Plain 5: only 12 and for the Fancy 5: only 10.  Based on having only 2 choices for an 1865 2c coin, I guess that means NGC does not automatically differentiate between the two...unless additional fees are paid.  Any ideas on which "5" is rarer (I assume Fancy)?  Is there a resource available that has guesstimates on any of the varieties? .

(https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/two-cents/19/varieties/13583/)

4.1865.2c.O.jpg

5.1865.2c.R.jpg

6.1865.2c.O.jpg

Yes, this is a "Plain 5". NGC charges an $18 variety attribution fee to attribute the "plain" and "fancy" varieties. I know of no research as to which variety is less common, but neither is considered to be scarce, so few collectors who might submit higher grade pieces are willing to pay this additional fee.  The "plain" and "fancy" 5s also appear on 1865 Indian cents, neither of which commands a premium either.

There are a number of repunched date varieties among 1865 and other dates of two cent pieces, some of which do command a premium among variety collectors.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:09 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How can Sandon, one of our most astute and informed posters, be a "newbie" with over 1,000 posts and here for 3 years ? xD

"Incredible imagination" is all I keep coming up with.