• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible for an early date buffalo nickel to actually straight-grade "poor"? Post one if you have it, please!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am reviewing a few partial sets of buffalo nickels and found a surprising number with acid dates.  Strangely, the nic-a-date coins often have VG or better sharpness aside from the date being worn off.  Then it occurred to me that if a buffalo nickel wore down below, say AG-3, then surely the date would be gone completely, right?  Or can you post a certified example at FA-2 or PO-1?  Note that I'm generally referring to early dates -- probably pre-1925, as it seems like later issues retained their dates better, though here again, I have never seen a 1938-D in poor, or even fair grade.

They do exist but have so little value that only a low-ball fanatic would attempt to assemble a set.  The key feature is the date.  Good question!

Could you buy a nice VG coin, then coat the date with varnish, and carry it in your pocket for another 15 years to get to "Poor" grade?

The unvarnished truth is though it may seem feasible, it would not be possible.  (One more thing the graders and forensic technicians in conservation will be on the lookout for.)  🤣