• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My worn out Walkers turning to gold.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

So about 15 years ago I polished up some old walkers in a rock tumbler that turned out out very bright and shiney silver. I forgot about them and found them still inside the tumbler and the media had dried up. When I took them out 15 years later they look gold plated. How does that happen? 

20230517_083817.jpg

20230517_083834.jpg

The good news is your use of a "rock" tumbler and liquid, the secret ingredients of which you do not wish to divulge because its formula is still "patent pending," has forever enshrined your user handle as one of the more creative minds in the annals of NGC's Chat Board history.  😉 

These coins have simply tarnished, nowadays called (unattractively) "toned". It's some chemical compound formed from the combination of the silver and/or copper in the coins combined with other molecules in the environment to which the coins were exposed. Remember your high school chemistry class.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, Sandon said:

These coins have simply tarnished, nowadays called (unattractively) "toned". It's some chemical compound formed from the combination of the silver and/or copper in the coins combined with other molecules in the environment to which the coins were exposed. Remember your high school chemistry class.

Yup turning silver to gold.