• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending Proof coins without rim to NGC
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Good Day.
I have a question about sending coins to NGC for grading. The coins must be sent in plastic pocket holders only, not in capsules. It’s OK – no questions, but if my Proof coin doesn’t have a rim? Like for example this coin: https://monetas.bank.lv/en/coins/coin-of-fortune. How I can avoid moving coins inside the pocket? How I can avoid micro-scratches which can be? Is it a big problem to send coins in capsules if most of the Proof coins are already in the capsules?

Thank you

On 5/14/2023 at 1:35 AM, medved said:

Good Day.
I have a question about sending coins to NGC for grading. The coins must be sent in plastic pocket holders only, not in capsules. It’s OK – no questions, but if my Proof coin doesn’t have a rim? Like for example this coin: https://monetas.bank.lv/en/coins/coin-of-fortune. How I can avoid moving coins inside the pocket? How I can avoid micro-scratches which can be? Is it a big problem to send coins in capsules if most of the Proof coins are already in the capsules?

Thank you

You can send coins in their original mint packaging and often that is a capsule. I've sent many coins to NGC in capsules without issue, you're good to go.

Coins that don't come with a capsule I put in flips, but if you had a coin with no OMP and it would be better housed in a capsule I doubt that it would be rejected.

Reply from NGC:

Hello Mihails,
Thank you for contacting NGC. We try to provide as much information as possible on getting these coins to us safely on our How to Package Coins for Submission page. We believe your coins will arrive safely this way. You are able to add bubble wrap as well if you believe it necessary. Please let us know if we can further assist.

My replay:

Good Day, yes I know this article, but this article doesn’t answer my question.
If the coin is designed and minted without RIM and I will remove it from the original Bank’s capsule – nothing will protect it from micro scratches inside the flip.
So, is it possible for such coins like https://monetas.bank.lv/en/coins/coin-of-fortune to send in the original capsule to avoid damage inside the flip??? By the way, all bubble wrap contains PVC! Thank you!

NGC reply:

Hello Mihails,
Thank you for your response.
As long as your coin is easy to remove from the capsule then this one coin is fine to come in the capsule, but if our graders have any difficulty opening the capsule it will not be graded.

Now I am thinking about how to understand whether it is an easy-open capsule or not xD

On 5/16/2023 at 11:30 PM, medved said:

Reply from NGC:

Hello Mihails,
Thank you for contacting NGC. We try to provide as much information as possible on getting these coins to us safely on our How to Package Coins for Submission page. We believe your coins will arrive safely this way. You are able to add bubble wrap as well if you believe it necessary. Please let us know if we can further assist.

My replay:

Good Day, yes I know this article, but this article doesn’t answer my question.
If the coin is designed and minted without RIM and I will remove it from the original Bank’s capsule – nothing will protect it from micro scratches inside the flip.
So, is it possible for such coins like https://monetas.bank.lv/en/coins/coin-of-fortune to send in the original capsule to avoid damage inside the flip??? By the way, all bubble wrap contains PVC! Thank you!

NGC reply:

Hello Mihails,
Thank you for your response.
As long as your coin is easy to remove from the capsule then this one coin is fine to come in the capsule, but if our graders have any difficulty opening the capsule it will not be graded.

Now I am thinking about how to understand whether it is an easy-open capsule or not xD

If you CAN open it, it’s all good.