• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin1961

14 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The Coin Marketplace forum is reserved for topics seeking to buy or sell coins.  Please repost your topic on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum with clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin, and describe the characteristics you believe constitute a mint error.  If you're referring to the line through the "7" in the date, it is likely a "die chip", which is extremely common and not worth a premium.  A circulated 1957-D Lincoln cent like this one is a "common wheat cent" that is only worth a few cents to collectors.

yes I will repost it on newbie but I don't view this error us a die chip does not look like a die chip I believe the original number removed then the die employee try to fix it but he failed they did strike this coin 2 times after removing the original number  

On 5/12/2023 at 5:26 PM, bouchta tajjiou said:

How valuable is this coin? 

Perhaps you meant to post a different coin, your title says 1961 but the coin you posted is a 1957-D which has some damage but no errors.

On 5/12/2023 at 7:54 PM, bouchta tajjiou said:

does not look like a damage looks like an error because there is no visible damage on a coin

100% damage, the 7 was hit by something and moved the metal, not an error.   Copper is a soft metal and can be moved very easily.   Many people come here looking for answers but are not willing to accept those answers when it doesn't align with what they want to hear.

is not because I don't accept the answers is because I checked the coin with magnifying very closely and I don't see damage at all I will get more comments and see what they will say because I have another member told me is a die chip but does not look like a die chip I received different opinions

OP

Perhaps you should learn how coins are minted.  
Mint employees do not try to “ fix “ coins.  
It can only be an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin   
and what you have could not have happened at that time. 

Those that have been on coin forums for many years have seen hundreds of coins posted with damage like this. I can't rule out the coin has a die chip. The image is really small and out of focus. Lets say it is a die chip, you might be able to sell it to a new collector for 5 cents. 

The folks here give good honest answers. There is not a true error coin that looks anything like this coin. 

Not an error. If anything, there would have to be a substantial amount of them minted with the same line through the 7 for it to be attributed as a variety. Variety, not error.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:12 PM, bouchta tajjiou said:

I don't see damage at all I will get more comments and see what they will say

There you have it, multiple opinions that its post-mint damage, which I agree with.  Keep in mind copper is a very soft metal, and parts like top of the "7" on a 1957 cent, which is 95% copper, can be displaced and the bottom has been knocked off.

If you do a forum search you will find multiple topics where parts of a copper cent have been moved or displaced, and then wear sometimes hides evidence of that displacement.  Also If you want to know more about true error coins see these links ...

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1655/Variety-versus-Mint-Error/

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7765/learn-grading-mint-errors-part-1/

https://www.error-ref.com/

1957-D Cent Date Damaged.jpg