• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting article on silver
2 2

19 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 6:34 PM, zadok said:

...i didnt mean to buy so much last year, ill try to do better this year....

"Hey, hey... the Duke Brothers are trying to corner the market!"  :whatthe:. (from Trading Places, 1983, starring Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd)

The topics Demand and Supply are not treated comparably. Supply seems to ignore non-mining sources, while Demand includes all uses. If correct, this invalidates the report and its conclusions.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, RWB said:

The topics Demand and Supply are not treated comparably. Supply seems to ignore non-mining sources, while Demand includes all uses. If correct, this invalidates the report and its conclusions.

Maybe we should find out what Metals Focus paid the World Silver Survey for their presumably impartial research.  You know what they say, You get what you pay for...

On 5/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Maybe we should find out what Metals Focus paid the World Silver Survey for their presumably impartial research.  You know what they say, You get what you pay for...

Now, now.... Let's not bring in Clarence Thomas....

On 5/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, Henri Charriere said:

As long as the data points are accurate, the conclusions really don't matter.  

The Big Picture as I see it is that demand sourced for India and other countries who in the past didn't consume much continue to grow.  This is a theme I hit with gold, focusing only on India (noting that ther are other Asian countries, Africa, and South/Central America that are also increasing their consumption).

On 5/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The Big Picture as I see it is that demand sourced for India and other countries who in the past didn't consume much continue to grow.  This is a theme I hit with gold, focusing only on India (noting that ther are other Asian countries, Africa, and South/Central America that are also increasing their consumption).

India has been one of the biggest silver buyers for a long time.  Nothing new in that.  It's commonly purchased for wedding related gifts, or so I've heard.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, RWB said:

That's why this rationalization (exactly what it was) in the 80's and 90's didn't change the outcome.

The price can increase or decrease a lot without a corresponding change in the supply.  It can change a lot with essentially no change in supply.  All it takes is buyers willing to pay a lot more.

As an "investment" asset, the price of gold and silver is psychologically determined.  This is true of all asset prices.  With most (not all) goods and services, higher prices = lower demand. That's what is written in economic textbooks, or at least the ones I used and read.

The opposite is true with "investments".  Demand is higher than ever recently, even as practically all asset classes are more expensive versus the past.  Higher prices increase demand.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, RWB said:

Now HERE, Roger is spot on. Every coin and bar held by a collector, dealer, or investor SHOULD BE, but virtually never is, counted as SUPPLY. 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, MorganMan said:

How about let's not do politics in a coin thread. ¬¬

Only Roger gets free rein to do that; time after time after time after time. 

On 5/6/2023 at 10:37 PM, MorganMan said:

How about let's not do politics in a coin thread. ¬¬

Henri mentioned "presumably impartial." Simply a fact. Nothing political unless you consider peanut butter and jelly.

:)

On 5/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Huh....? I don't understand.

On 5/7/2023 at 1:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Now HERE, Roger is spot on. Every coin and bar held by a collector, dealer, or investor SHOULD BE, but virtually never is, counted as SUPPLY. 

...u will have to pry my silver bar from my cold dead fingers...oh thats my gun...well u will have to pry my silver gun from my cold dead fingers then....

On 5/7/2023 at 1:23 PM, VKurtB said:

Only Roger gets free rein to do that; time after time after time after time. 

No, what many members may have mistaken for my time-outs or unexplained absences were in actuality expulsions and deportations. Is naming a justice of the Supreme Court any more political than the recent comment made parenthetically, ("and my county voted 83% for the Orange Guy.)? I make it a point to review the Chat Board Guidelines regularly. 

Back on Track. 🤣

On 5/7/2023 at 5:42 PM, Henri Charriere said:

No, what many members may have mistaken for my time-outs or unexplained absences were in actuality expulsions and deportations. Is naming a justice of the Supreme Court any more political than the recent comment made parenthetically, ("and my county voted 83% for the Orange Guy.)? I make it a point to review the Chat Board Guidelines regularly. 

Back on Track. 🤣

Merely a statement of irrefutable fact, WITHOUT embellishment. As a former County Election Director (Berks County, 2001-2005), such figures are always interesting to me. It also is instructive that there ain’t no ‘We The People”. Which people? Where? And even when? There is now a new national phenomenon going on - moving to where one likes the political environment. 

Edited by VKurtB

• Administrator

Hi Everyone,

Let's stick to the original topic. The OP provided a good conversation starter.

Steering towards politics will cause the thread to be pulled.

Have a great week everyone!