• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Will Be the Next Q. David Bowers in Numismatics?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Now that Dave Bowers has semi-retired or retired from numismatics, who do you think are the people who could take his place? Jeff Garrett comes to mind for one. Who do you think would be the next Dave Bowers of numismatics?

On 5/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, Tyrock said:

Now that Dave Bowers has semi-retired or retired from numismatics, who do you think are the people who could take his place? Jeff Garrett comes to mind for one. Who do you think would be the next Dave Bowers of numismatics?

I like Jeff's writings but he's a dealer and very promotional.  Good info, don't get me wrong, but talks his own book.

RW Julian and RWB can pick up the slack on many numismatic issues.

@RWB's work is too tainted with slander and rank opinion masquerading as fact. Disqualifying, to me. Yes, he likes to read dusty old documents - reading history. I prefer to be present in the flesh while tomorrow's numismatic  history is being lived today.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/4/2023 at 12:01 PM, Tyrock said:

...nope....

On 5/4/2023 at 12:04 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I like Jeff's writings but he's a dealer and very promotional.  Good info, don't get me wrong, but talks his own book.

RW Julian and RWB can pick up the slack on many numismatic issues.

...nope n definitely nope....

Roger puts out a well researched quality product. I don’t believe he be interested in the production line approach. Just a bunch on my part. QDB was a production machine. I don’t see anyone picking up those reigns in the near future. 

what about aYN? Kellen? He is super active and is impressing a lot of folks. 

Other than that - I’m stumped. I like the research that Jesse Kraft does, but I don’t see him writing like QDB, 

There’s only one question, sadly. To whom will Whitman Publishing reach out when one of their series books needs an update badly enough? We have NEARLY (some happy exceptions, but not enough) come to the state of affairs in which we have a bifurcated field with 1) Whitman, and 2) self-funded “vanity” publishing. I can hardly blame those who blanch at that choice. By the way, the best book EVER written about matte proof Lincoln cents based on its contents was “published” on a color xerographic copier, bound with spiral spring and/or plastic loop/comb bindings. The content deserves hard bound publishing, but the market is too small.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/4/2023 at 1:46 PM, Zebo said:

Roger puts out a well researched quality product. I don’t believe he be interested in the production line approach. Just a bunch on my part. QDB was a production machine. I don’t see anyone picking up those reigns in the near future. 

Since many of the Whitman Red Books just need new editions, you think people would want to do them; you don't need to start everything from scratch.  We're up to the 7th Edition for Morgan Silver Dollars but still awaiting a 2nd Edition for Double Eagles (2004).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

If I were to hazard a guess it will be a relative unknown.  A person who was cisgender but now identifies as transgender because the numismatic community at large is not ready for anyone who identifies as genderqueer.  🤣

On 5/4/2023 at 2:59 PM, Sandon said:

Mr. Bowers really isn't replaceable by any one person. He wrote for so many years on so many numismatic topics, not to mention about other collecting areas as well, such as coin operated musical machines. Numismatic writers tend to be more specialized now.

...u r correct...there r some persons that r not replaceable, i have known David Bowers close to 50 years now, those will be shoes not filled especially by one person, another David would have been a closely qualified replacement but sadly he is no longer with us...i think the best we can do is be grateful for the QDB tomes we currently have in our numismatic library....

On 5/4/2023 at 4:02 PM, VKurtB said:

There’s only one question, sadly. To whom will Whitman Publishing reach out when one of their series books needs an update badly enough? 

How soon and how likely is that for the (vast) majority?  By this, I mean that it's so "dated" that it "needs" updating.

US coinage seems to be the most researched and written by a large margin.  Maybe followed by British, ancients, and German?

Edited by World Colonial

On 5/4/2023 at 7:49 PM, World Colonial said:

How soon and how likely is that for the (vast) majority?  By this, I mean that it's so "dated" that it "needs" updating.

Since most newcomers to gold coins or Double Eagles will not splurge for RWB's masterpiece (assuming it is still even available), the 2004 only edition of the Whitman Red Book by Bowers is definitely worthy of an update with gold at $2,000 for prices and tons more information available on populations, hoards, condition rarities and non-rarities, etc...than in the 20 years since the book was written.

Not sure what the total and annual sales of the book have been since 2004, but not doing an updated edition is not good.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/4/2023 at 10:57 PM, RWB said:

The Whitman Guide Book series requires special treatment to prepare and update. Page count is limited and content is at a new-to-moderate level of knowledge.

No doubt true...but they have done 7 Editions for the MSD, they can certainly do a 2nd Double Eagle one after 20 years.  If they deleted obsolete information and add new stuff, the 275 pages might go to 300 which is certainly reasonable.  Maybe they can even shorten it more.

QDB had access to some of the top collectors and dealers over the decades. Besides Hanson and the Tyrant, there doesn’t seem to be as many top collectors as in the past such as Eliasberg, Brand, Norweb, Garrett, Ford to name a few. Or dealers such as the Chapmans, Mehl, Boyd, Kosoff, and Stack. You could name many more collector and dealer names to the list. Many interesting stories and subject matter came from his access.

is there any equivalent to either group today?

I don't see anyone replacing the man but there are many great people in this hobby. There are many graders and dealers that are now a part of the history. Some should write books on what they have seen over the years, while they are still able. 

On 5/5/2023 at 7:12 AM, Zebo said:

QDB had access to some of the top collectors and dealers over the decades. Besides Hanson and the Tyrant, there doesn’t seem to be as many top collectors as in the past such as Eliasberg, Brand, Norweb, Garrett, Ford to name a few. Or dealers such as the Chapmans, Mehl, Boyd, Kosoff, and Stack. You could name many more collector and dealer names to the list. Many interesting stories and subject matter came from his access.

is there any equivalent to either group today?

...Lamont Cranston mite know....

In 1980 I bought Bowers book on the Garrett collection from a local dealer. On an inside page, he wrote an inscription to someone whose name I did not recognize. I wrote to him at Bowers and Ruddy in Los Angeles, and he answered me saying that it was his inscription, and he was surprised that the recipient had sold it. I appreciated his response and I still have the book and his letter. I have many of his other books including a book he wrote on the Pogue collection. 

Edited by Tyrock
Wrong name of firm was corrected

On 5/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, Tyrock said:

In 1980 I bought Bowers book on the Garrett collection from a local dealer. On an inside page, he wrote an inscription to someone whose name I did not recognize. I wrote to him at Bowers and Merena in Los Angeles, and he answered me saying that it was his inscription, and he was surprised that the recipient had sold it. I appreciated his response and I still have the book and his letter. I have many of his other books including a book he wrote on the Pogue collection. 

What you had purchased was what is generally referred to in the publishing industry as a "reviewer's" copy, or complimentary copy of a  book ahead of its official release date to authors, other publishing houses and editors who may pass them along to close friends. Your innocent faux pas, committed without malice, revealed an uncomfortable, little-known truth: not all recipients have the time, interest or inclination to read such unsolicited materials and simply pass them on--or sell them to booksellers for 1/4 list price which then sell them at half-price to the public as "reviewer's copies." Many are simply autographed. Others include personal inscriptions accompanied by doodles or drawings. I had always wondered whether such a cringe-worthy moment such as you've described ever happened.  It speaks to the character of Mr. Bowers that he set aside what must have been an awkward and embarrassing revelation to respond to your query with professional aplomb.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:37 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

When you say the next QDB, what exactly do you mean?....

I don't think there will be another QDB, and I don't think there needs to be.

Precious metals prices are rising at an inopportune time for numismatists whose interest in coin collecting began largely in their youth. QDB, inadvertently perhaps, provided a draw to a hobby that can use one. The shame of the hobby is loss of brick-and-mortar coin shops, generic, uninteresting coins minted for circulation and a general decline in literacy. These, as well as the loss of prominent writers and "cheerleaders" does not bode well for a hobby many regard as being in general decline.

Be aware that much of QDB’s later writing work was done with the assistance of what used to be called “ghost writers”. Yes, he approved the actual writing, but he has had help with the actual writing task. You have to watch actual live interviews to know some things. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/6/2023 at 8:37 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

When you say the next QDB, what exactly do you mean? Elder statesman? Writer of too many books of generally okay quality? Long time dealer with stories of legendary collections? 

I don't think there will be another QDB, and I don't think there needs to be. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend. But, like Eliasberg, Ford, Pittman, etc., each brought something different to numismatics. 

...i seriously doubt u will find many knowledgeable numismatists that will agree with ur overall assessment...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions....