• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numismatist - Isabella quarter restrikes - Die use discovered.
1 1

57 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Can you give us a hint on the topic/subject ?

Yet another in the lengthy series of “Ain’t Roger Wonderful?” articles by, oddly enough, Roger. 

On 5/7/2023 at 12:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Can you give us a hint on the topic/subject ?

Ok. It involves U.S. coins, not intended for general circulation.

On 5/6/2023 at 9:23 PM, RWB said:

I tried to get 'em to make the digital version without vowels. They said, "No, we've already paid for them."

;)

Same reason The New York Times dispensed with periods in acronyms.

On 5/7/2023 at 1:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Yet another in the lengthy series of “Ain’t Roger Wonderful?” articles by, oddly enough, Roger. 

[If that doesn't tickle your fancy, this might be right up your alley:  "Buying Coins for Wholesale Prices at Coin Shows and Other Places," by Mike Thorne. Numismatic News, May 26, 2023.]

...funny how that keeps happening...i finally over the holiday weekend read the june issue, very pedestrian contents, i really miss the articles by the two David's...the proof bust quarter article by David McCarthy n the cover article by Richard Gammill n John Conour were the two salvaging articles for my interests n the ones that i thought could generate new collector interest, i did go back n re-read the may issue n by comparison it was far more informative n collector provoking, the articles by Craig Eberhart, Eric Brothers, Nancy Oliver, Richard Kelley were especially well presented n collector oriented n could possibly create collector interest in new areas...but our community has various areas of interest n im sure many found articles to their liking as well in both of these issues....

I’m saving my unrivaled enjoyment of Roger’s article for my flight out to Summer Seminar. I have to get up at 4AM to catch my flight, so it will be responsible for keeping me awake. I’ll spot Roger ONE regular sized black coffee plus whatever they serve on the airplane as teammates on the “keep Kurt awake” squad. I briefly scanned it. No promises it’ll do the trick.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Thanks Kurt! Your level of ignorance about basic research is always good for a laugh. :)

Do we presume you already knew about the Isabella restrikes? Why did you hide that from collectors?

Hopefully, someone will find a way to separate originals from restrikes. Research data does not specifically state that the same dies were used, but it does not say otherwise.

How certain are you that they are discernible? Knowing they were made is one thing. And hardly a surprising thing given how “loosey goosey” the 19th century was about restriking many things. Can they be ID’ed? That’s the question. Even the story of the 1936-D “San Diego” commem redo is full of sketchy ethics. The United States Mint really doesn’t deserve any thoughts that it was ever a paragon of virtue, … or “smarts” either. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, RWB said:

Thanks Kurt! Your level of ignorance about basic research is always good for a laugh. :)

Do we presume you already knew about the Isabella restrikes? Why did you hide that from collectors?

“Basic research” doesn’t impress me nearly as much as “advanced thinking”. Here’s what the subject of your article tells me - So what? And who cares? Now if you have a way to tell one from another, then we have something worthwhile to say. Until then, not s’much. And it raises another question. Did something similar happen with the contemporary issue, the Columbus half dollar?

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, RWB said:

Hopefully, someone will find a way to separate originals from restrikes....

[Same problem with the French 20-franc gold roosters.  Oh, they will tell you the difference in color between the Originals and so-called Restrikes is due to a change in copper content but what about within the Restrike series, bearing the dates 1907-1914, a significant percentage of which were coined in 1921, the 1950's and the 1960's?]  🤔 

I thought the article was very informative. Now if the restrikes were all from the original die's there would be no difference in the coins only the time factor. 

On 5/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, VKurtB said:

I’m saving my unrivaled enjoyment of Roger’s article for my flight out to Summer Seminar. I have to get up at 4AM to catch my flight, so it will be responsible for keeping me awake. I’ll spot Roger ONE regular sized black coffee plus whatever they serve on the airplane as teammates on the “keep Kurt awake” squad. I briefly scanned it. No promises it’ll do the trick.

...me thinks u will be in full on dozing state soon after take off, the article in question actually reads like QA wrote it....

On 5/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, RWB said:

Hopefully, someone will find a way to separate originals from restrikes. Research data does not specifically state that the same dies were used, but it does not say otherwise.

...perhaps the two or three collectors of isabellas will sort that out down the road n decide which r the more desirable....

Let’s keep in mind that restrikes happen all the time. Austria is famous for the 1780 thalers and the 1915 1 and 4 ducats. The existence of restrikes is hardly particularly noteworthy. 

On 5/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, VKurtB said:

Let’s keep in mind that restrikes happen all the time. Austria is famous for the 1780 thalers and the 1915 1 and 4 ducats. The existence of restrikes is hardly particularly noteworthy. 

...not to mention our 1804 dollars...guess i mentioned them, duh....

Restrikes of US circulating or commemorative coins are extremely unusual.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:56 AM, zadok said:

...perhaps the two or three collectors of isabellas will sort that out down the road n decide which r the more desirable....

Ditto the Gold Roosters, of the French 20-Franc persuasion.  🤣