• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 wheat ddo ??
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Here is what the famous 1955 doubled die obverse cent looks like. (NGC Coin Explorer photo.) Note the crisp, clear doubled images that are about on the same level, not faint ghostly images as on your coin (die deterioration doubling) or shallow, shelf-like images as on strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling:

5851201-001o.jpg

On 4/29/2023 at 7:01 AM, Basinger68 said:

Ok cause the real reason I asked was because the inside the B in liberty and the last five in 1955 u can see a faint outline of a sideways 5. But I appreciate the info.

What you have is known as the poor mans double die, when originally "found" this was hyped up and sold to unsuspecting buyers as a real doubled die coin.   Unfortunately, this is as @Just Bob correctly noted, the result of a die used too long and suffers from severe die erosion.

Makes sense to me, I thank and appreciate all of my now answered questions about it, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being an a dummy trying to send it in to have graded and be wrong.

Edited by Basinger68

Agreed that the coin has common die deterioration doubling or machine doubling that has no extra value and is not worth submitting.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

What you have is known as the poor mans double die,

Not according to many unscrupulous eBay sellers, who are still to this day constantly listing coins with common worthless machine doubling as being more valuable true doubled die coins.  :kidaround:

On 4/29/2023 at 9:01 AM, Basinger68 said:

Ok cause the real reason I asked was because the inside the B in liberty and the last five in 1955 u can see a faint outline of a sideways 5. But I appreciate the info.

Do NOT allow yourself to see things places where they are not. What you have written here is a prime example.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

Agreed that the coin has common die deterioration doubling or machine doubling that has no extra value and is not worth submitting.

Not according to many unscrupulous eBay sellers, who are still to this day constantly listing coins with common worthless machine doubling as being more valuable true doubled die coins.  :kidaround:

Not only ebay but facebook, instagram, and other selling and social media sites, it is a major plague on the hobby currently.

Knowledge is power. The 1955 is an easy one to do your homework on as the true DDO is quite spectacular. In agreement with the others, your coin has die erosion doubling only.