• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big changes ahead for Small Change?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

I am not quite sure of what all is being discussed here, but if you believe facts from the 2020 census about 24-27%

of transactions in America are cash transactions.  I suspect the M_1 money will remain unchanged for awhile.

I heard that the Mint was considering using different (cheaper) metal alloys to make lower denomination coinage. I have not heard any specifics on the alloys being considered, but steel has been mentioned, which I think would be kind of cool, but definitely hard on coin dies. 

On 4/26/2023 at 8:54 AM, World Colonial said:

I understand that. You're describing speculation, buying it to "flip".  I'm referring to buying it as a "hold" for someone's collection.

How do the prices you cite compare to the purchasing power of these notes decades ago?

That's my point.

$1700-$2000 now is worth a fraction of the FV (real value it could buy) when it was issued.  Same result if someone bought it when I started collecting coins in 1975.  Specific results depend upon the date of issuance and purchase.  

...yes talking about buying for resale to "flip" notes...but notes bought correctly decades ago, especially obsolete bank notes realizing gigantic gains, i personally sold some at 1000% return bought 20 years ago...not sure i understand ur comment bout FV of $s...r u referencing what u could have bought with that money then?...sure could have bought a 1970 chevy chevelle ss 454/400 for $3600 then n i did...also bought bunch of $20 DE for $67 per coin which i still have...its more of a situation of if u have discretionary funds where to put them...i chose coins, guns, cars, precious metals n land n a few precious minerals/gems...all have outperformed my stocks etc even counting dividends....

On 4/26/2023 at 10:44 AM, DSessom said:

I heard that the Mint was considering using different (cheaper) metal alloys to make lower denomination coinage. I have not heard any specifics on the alloys being considered, but steel has been mentioned, which I think would be kind of cool, but definitely hard on coin dies. 

...yea then u could say those brown spots on ur shorts were from rust....

On 4/26/2023 at 10:44 AM, zadok said:

...yes talking about buying for resale to "flip" notes...but notes bought correctly decades ago, especially obsolete bank notes realizing gigantic gains, i personally sold some at 1000% return bought 20 years ago...not sure i understand ur comment bout FV of $s...r u referencing what u could have bought with that money then?...sure could have bought a 1970 chevy chevelle ss 454/400 for $3600 then n i did...also bought bunch of $20 DE for $67 per coin which i still have...its more of a situation of if u have discretionary funds where to put them...i chose coins, guns, cars, precious metals n land n a few precious minerals/gems...all have outperformed my stocks etc even counting dividends....

I am specifically referring to high FV notes, $500 and up.  The premium on most of these now isn't enough to make up for the difference in the change in purchasing power.

I'm not sure it matters to you, but it would to me if I were a buyer.  $1700-$2000 is a lot of money for such common currency.  No way I'd buy something as common as these notes at this price and have it lose a high percentage of it's true (no, not nominal value) while I own it.  It's not that interesting.

I presume this doesn't matter to Currency Note collectors who buy it, but then, I'm not one of them.

I'm somewhat aware of what you stated for lower denominations.  Yes, big increases on many especially on high grades.  I used to look at older South Africa currency.  It's quite expensive in high quality or was.

On 4/26/2023 at 9:44 AM, DSessom said:

Carpenter Technologies of Reading, Pennsylvania has been working with the Mint in preparing a brand new alloy of stainless steel to replace, initially, the 75/25 Cu/Ni for the five cent piece. It strikes up MUCH nicer than other past stainless steel efforts, like the 100 Lire coins that predated use of the euro in Italy. It is ready to rock and roll, as soon as the Congress gives the go ahead. I have held the little beasties in my hands. They are just as well struck as 75/25 is. When struck from new dies, there WILL BE proof-like examples coming off the machines. But they don't take long to disappear.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, World Colonial said:

I am specifically referring to high FV notes, $500 and up.  The premium on most of these now isn't enough to make up for the difference in the change in purchasing power.

I'm not sure it matters to you, but it would to me if I were a buyer.  $1700-$2000 is a lot of money for such common currency.  No way I'd buy something as common as these notes at this price and have it lose a high percentage of it's true (no, not nominal value) while I own it.  It's not that interesting.

I presume this doesn't matter to Currency Note collectors who buy it, but then, I'm not one of them.

I'm somewhat aware of what you stated for lower denominations.  Yes, big increases on many especially on high grades.  I used to look at older South Africa currency.  It's quite expensive in high quality or was.

...no u misunderstood, i was a buyer on $1000 notes 20 years ago in the $1100-1200 range n sold at the $1700-2000 range...agree time to buy was decades ago, no way i pay todays prices on common mid grade ones...they will be same price 20 years from now...i did pay full retail for a $5000 note n flipped it for $3000 return but it was just a better note than the cert said it was...u have to know ur notes or lose ur butt....

On 4/26/2023 at 3:59 PM, zadok said:

...no u misunderstood, i was a buyer on $1000 notes 20 years ago in the $1100-1200 range n sold at the $1700-2000 range...agree time to buy was decades ago, no way i pay todays prices on common mid grade ones...they will be same price 20 years from now...

That's basically breaking even in real money.

It's also worth a fraction of what it was worth when it was issued in the 1930's or earlier. $1000 was a lot of money then.