• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1876 cc seated liberty

4 posts in this topic

This is a nice "ground find", but it certainly isn't worth the cost of third-party grading! 

An 1876-CC Seated dime is a popular but common issue with an original mintage of 8,270,000 pieces. The coin has Choice Very Fine (30) to Extremely Fine (40) details. A grading service would likely "details" grade it as having been "cleaned" due to its "off" color and possible hairlines or as having "environmental damage" due to the pitting and encrustations I can see from its having been buried in the ground. Coin World currently retail lists unimpaired examples at $65 in Very Fine and $110 in Extremely Fine and the NGC Price Guide at an inflated $125 and $165 in those respective grades. A dealer would likely be reluctant to pay even half the impaired value. 

Before you even think about sending coins to grading services, you must learn to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:30 AM, Sandon said:

Before you even think about sending coins to grading services, you must learn to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself.

Excellent advice. OP -- Please listen to it.

Typically, most metal detector finds are not worth submitting to a TPG (typically silver, and especially copper - gold is different as it is resistant to even being put into the ground). If a bury or accidental loss that succumbed to the changing earth were a truly rare coin it would be a different story. I know a few MD's (what I call them) and they find coins all the time. I instructed them to get a current coin price guide that also explains basic grades and gives a value to them, and to only send me a pic of something that makes no sense to them. Basically, I have not gotten any photos and they haven't even texted me to ask about anything. They thanked me for directing them to the price guides. I recommend the same thing for you if you are going to continue on your metal detecting endeavors as you will probably find many coins buried but most if not all not worth the costs of submission.