• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Penny Erro and 1973 D Penny Error

21 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Been looking through my Grandpa's coins (God rest his sole :) )  and found 2 coins wrapped up in toilet paper and duct tape.  I don't know if they are worth anything, but they are both errors I believe.  Any help on what happened to them and value would be appreciated.  See Pics 0f 1948.

1948 Penny Back.JPG

1948 Penny Front With Error.JPG

On 4/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, Pipes1971 said:

Hello Everyone,

Been looking through my Grandpa's coins (God rest his sole :) )  and found 2 coins wrapped up in toilet paper and duct tape.  I don't know if they are worth anything, but they are both errors I believe.  Any help on what happened to them and value would be appreciated.  See Pics 0f 1948.

1948 Penny Back.JPG

1948 Penny Front With Error.JPG

I believe only the front of the coin is different. Not the back.

From the fuzzy photos, it appears to be intentional damage. Not a US Mint error.

Now, please stop watching those click-bait U-Tube videos about get-rich-quick-from-pocket-change schemes.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1948 Lincoln cent doesn't appear to be any sort of mint error. It appears to have been removed from some sort of encasement or clasp, which flattened and crimped the rims of the coin.  It is also severely corroded.  Undamaged circulated common date "wheat" reverse cents such as a 1948 are worth a few cents each, but this one has no collector value. I can't give any opinion about the 1973 cent without seeing photos of it. Please crop any other photos to eliminate the background and enlarge the images of the coin. 

FYI, here is a Choice Uncirculated 1948 Lincoln cent with full original mint "red" color, graded MS 64RD, which is worth a few dollars in this condition:

1948centobv..thumb.jpg.6f985e25eeaf7f49342a62539596ad23.jpg

1948centrev..thumb.jpg.c1877eaa931693f3ff213390edd088ae.jpg

Are you interested in learning more about coins, or did you just have questions about pieces your grandfather left you?

Edited by Sandon
insert missing word

On 4/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, RWB said:

From the fuzzy photos, it appears to be intentional damage. Not a US Mint error.

Now, please stop watching those click-bait U-Tube videos about get-rich-quick-from-pocket-change schemes.

No clue what video's your talking about.  LOL  Not looking to get rich, just want info.  Thanks for your response.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1948 Lincoln cent doesn't appear to be any sort of mint error. It appears to have been removed from some sort of encasement or clasp, which flattened and crimped the rims of the coin.  It is also severely corroded.  Undamaged circulated common date "wheat" reverse cents such as a 1948 are worth a few cents each, but this one has no collector value. I can't give any opinion about the 1973 cent without seeing photos of it. Please crop any other photos to eliminate the background and enlarge the images of the coin. 

FYI, here is a Choice Uncirculated 1948 Lincoln cent with full original mint "red" color, graded MS 64RD, which is worth a few dollars in this condition:

1948centobv..thumb.jpg.6f985e25eeaf7f49342a62539596ad23.jpg

1948centrev..thumb.jpg.c1877eaa931693f3ff213390edd088ae.jpg

Are you interested in learning more about coins, or did you just have questions about pieces your grandfather left you?

Thanks for the response.  Really appreciate it.   Below is the 1973 one.

1973 D Back with Error.JPG

1973 D Front with Error.JPG

On 4/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, Pipes1971 said:

No clue what video's your talking about.  LOL  Not looking to get rich, just want info.  Thanks for your response.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:22 PM, Pipes1971 said:

Also, below is the 1973 one.  Any thoughts on this one?

1973 D Back with Error.JPG

1973 D Front with Error.JPG

On 4/5/2023 at 5:36 PM, Greenstang said:

Your 1973 is an error.   
It is known as a cud caused by the broken edge of the die.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the feedback.  Never new what a "Cud" was :).  

I again ask you to crop the photos so that we may better see the coin. (The photo editing software in your computer or other device should enable you to do this.)  From what I can see, this 1973-D Lincoln cent does have a legitimate, though not particularly rare defective die mint error known to collectors as a "cud", better described as "piece out" by mint personnel. My most recent error price list (from the 2022 "Redbook" edition published in 2021) prices typical defective die error Lincoln cents of this era at $12.  "Cuds" can also be faked, such as by dropping molten metal on a coin, so better photos might give us a better idea.

Being there is weakness in the rim and T in CENT on the reverse side in the same area where the cud is on the obverse, I would say it is a legitimate mint error for a die break. Being more metal flowed into the broken spot on the die to form the cud, resulted in the weaker detail in that area on the reverse. The larger and more dramatic the cud, the more an error collector would be willing to pay for it. Also being that the 1973 D cent is common with a mintage of 3,549,576,588, and yours seems to be lightly circulated and has lost its red color for brown, I would not see it getting premium dollars at the sale point. It would be impossible to tell how many more were produced by the broken die before it was discovered and removed from service, but typically there will be other cents out there with the same or very similar cud as yours. It would probably see its best sale price on eBay at auction with a guess it would go for between $10 and $20.

I am in agreement that the 1948 Wheat Cent was clamped in something (not sure what) as nothing in the mint process would make the rim on the obverse look "beaded" like that. It is also heavily environmentally damaged and worth one cent. 

And yes, PLEASE crop your photos before posting them with your question. I had to take photos of your photos and zoom in on them to see what was needed to see.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:22 PM, Pipes1971 said:

OK. A large proportion of people posting "errors" etc. do so after watching U-Tube videos with extravagant claims about error coins and their values.

:)

On 4/5/2023 at 5:56 PM, Sandon said:

I again ask you to crop the photos so that we may better see the coin. (The photo editing software in your computer or other device should enable you to do this.)  From what I can see, this 1973-D Lincoln cent does have a legitimate, though not particularly rare defective die mint error known to collectors as a "cud", better described as "piece out" by mint personnel. My most recent error price list (from the 2022 "Redbook" edition published in 2021) prices typical defective die error Lincoln cents of this era at $12.  "Cuds" can also be faked, such as by dropping molten metal on a coin, so better photos might give us a better idea.

Thank you sir for your response.  I appreciate the feedback.  My camera on my phone isn't very good.  

On 4/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, powermad5000 said:

Being there is weakness in the rim and T in CENT on the reverse side in the same area where the cud is on the obverse, I would say it is a legitimate mint error for a die break. Being more metal flowed into the broken spot on the die to form the cud, resulted in the weaker detail in that area on the reverse. The larger and more dramatic the cud, the more an error collector would be willing to pay for it. Also being that the 1973 D cent is common with a mintage of 3,549,576,588, and yours seems to be lightly circulated and has lost its red color for brown, I would not see it getting premium dollars at the sale point. It would be impossible to tell how many more were produced by the broken die before it was discovered and removed from service, but typically there will be other cents out there with the same or very similar cud as yours. It would probably see its best sale price on eBay at auction with a guess it would go for between $10 and $20.

I am in agreement that the 1948 Wheat Cent was clamped in something (not sure what) as nothing in the mint process would make the rim on the obverse look "beaded" like that. It is also heavily environmentally damaged and worth one cent. 

And yes, PLEASE crop your photos before posting them with your question. I had to take photos of your photos and zoom in on them to see what was needed to see.

I really appreciate your feedback.  I have a lot of coins, paper money, etc., that I may put on here in the future.  Will definitely crop pictures and see if I can get better quality.  Also, I am wondering if the 1948 coin was in one of those coin cranking machines that flatten the coins and/or make it a design.  Anyway, will put it back in the collection.  Thanks again for your help!

On 4/5/2023 at 8:26 PM, RWB said:

OK. A large proportion of people posting "errors" etc. do so after watching U-Tube videos with extravagant claims about error coins and their values.

:)

LOL  Got it.  Well I didn't watch any video's.  Just have a lot of coins, paper money, etc., that I'm going through.  In the future I will make sure to have better picture quality for everyone to see.  Thanks again for your feedback.  I really appreciate it.  

If you want to get a better idea of what your coins are and their values, please refer to the resources referred to in the following topics on this forum:

On 4/5/2023 at 8:43 PM, Pipes1971 said:

.  Also, I am wondering if the 1948 coin was in one of those coin cranking machines that flatten the coins and/or make it a design.  

It is likely your coin was removed from something like this (picture grabbed off Ebay):

encased cent.jpg

More images of the type of holder the 1948 was removed from. The dies that were used to make the holders would sometimes transfer part of the design to the rims of the coin. 

$_3.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Image_0205.jpg

Image_0205crop.jpg

Image_0205crop2.jpg

Yes! Thanks, Larry. I was trying to find a picture of one with a beaded interior edge like the one in your second pic, but the picture I found was the closest I could come up with after a quick ebay search. And the last pics you posted show how the design can overlap the edge of the coin. I see this a lot with bimetallic tokens when they are struck slightly off center.  The aluminum center will often have a beaded section where the design overlaps. Nice job!

Edited by Just Bob

On 4/6/2023 at 9:03 AM, Just Bob said:

Yes! I was trying to find a picture of one with a beaded interior edge like the one in your second pic, but the picture I found was the closest I could come up with after a quick ebay search. And the last pic you posted shows how the design can overlap the edge of the coin. I see this a lot with bimetallic tokens when they are struck slightly off center.  The aluminum center will often have a beaded section where the design overlaps. Nice job!

That makes sense Just Bob. Learning a lot from you guys!  Thanks for the feedback.