• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was it Goldfinger1969 or Hoghead515 that was looking for a book on collectors?

10 posts in this topic

Was it @Goldfinger1969 or @Hoghead515 that was looking for a book on collectors some time ago? Or maybe someone else - I forget. Q. David Bowers wrote one that was published by Stack’s Bowers Gallery in 2020 that might be of interest called Those Who Led the Way. It’s out of print, but can be found occasionally. Just thought I’d mention it if either of you were still interested. I’ll send you the table of contents if you’d like.

I'm a lot more interested in the history of collecting than the history or other aspects of most coins.  Part of it is that many "reference" books are not much more or only inaccurate price guides. 

Even actual reference books, much of it isn't actually about the coins.  It is or may be interesting, but wouldn't provide the information I need most, the availability and quality distribution so that the prospective collector can evaluate the feasibility of completing it, if that's what they want to do.

On 4/4/2023 at 5:30 AM, Zebo said:

Was it @Goldfinger1969 or @Hoghead515 that was looking for a book on collectors some time ago? Or maybe someone else - I forget. Q. David Bowers wrote one that was published by Stack’s Bowers Gallery in 2020 that might be of interest called Those Who Led the Way. It’s out of print, but can be found occasionally. Just thought I’d mention it if either of you were still interested. I’ll send you the table of contents if you’d like.

Could have been me asking about the dealers who were active in the 1930's through 1970's.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up. (thumbsu

On 4/4/2023 at 10:12 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Could have been me asking about the dealers who were active in the 1930's through 1970's.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up. (thumbsu

From what I remember - the focus was on significant collectors and not dealers. There are a few dealers in the book as well. 

The late Johnson wrote a lot about specific collectors, and there is an on-line source called numismatic biographies. You can also search for sources on NNP.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:30 PM, Zebo said:

Was it @Goldfinger1969 or @Hoghead515 that was looking for a book on collectors some time ago? Or maybe someone else - I forget. Q.

David Bowers wrote one that was published by Stack’s Bowers Gallery in 2020 that might be of interest called Those Who Led the Way.

It’s out of print, but can be found occasionally. Just thought I’d mention it if either of you were still interested. I’ll send you the table of contents if you’d like.

I just love books like this. Lately I've started reading a lot. I even found spss assignment help for college, I use https://essays.edubirdie.com/spss-assignment-help for this. I couldn’t imagine that over time I would develop such an interest. Before, I didn’t feel it in myself at all.

This will be interesting to me too!

Edited by magdalenahom28