• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Views Project

4 posts in this topic

On the NGC Coin Registry I have 8 Competitive Sets.  The main set is Puzzle Box Gold, and the 7 other sets are subsets of the main set, apportioned by US Mints.

August 11, 2021, I began keeping track of Views of my sets, storing the data on an Apple Notes page.  Whenever I'd notice an uptick on any of the sets I'd add a new line to the ledger, update the Views counts, date, and even time of day.

Here is the way things stand at the moment.

image.thumb.png.900738241ced81dc6029eeb0c80a83b7.png

It should be pointed out that if someone views my Competitive Sets overview page, the Default Sort is what they'll see, and Carson City Gold is at the top of the sort, apparently by means of alphabetical sorting.  For some reason my Gold Type Set 1834-1933 (Puzzle Box Gold) is listed last in the Default Sort.

It is interesting that — of late — Puzzle Box Gold has stopped its upward march and has flatlined.  Meanwhile, the Carson City Gold subset has broken out from the rest of the individual Mints.  Carson City Gold has received at least one view per day since March 9th, 2023, and if things keep going the way they seem to be trending, it will overtake the Puzzle Box Gold main set sometime in May 2023.

Edited by USAuPzlBxBob
die polishing ∼ Quintus Arrius

Here's the latest update to this project, six months to the day since I last posted.

image.thumb.png.8ed6cfc1780289e9b4ba08c2a4d9ddb9.png

The Carson City run fizzled-out as soon as it was brought to light in my prior post on April 1, 2023.

Newly added to this graph is my Puzzle Box Gold (Custom Set), which is very revealing.  It has not recorded a single view in over a year.  Unless you have a collection that is "exciting" — like Shipwreck Coins — no one is interested in Custom Sets.  Also, the old format/presentation of the Custom Sets just doesn't "have it" compared to the Competitive Sets format/presentation of coins.  NGC needs to roll up their sleeves on this deficiency.

All of my Competitive Sets, with the exception of Denver, are making View gains on Puzzle Box Gold, hoping to unseat it.

In order of "ferocity," their gains are as follows:

Competitive Set                       View Gains (relative to PBG)
                  Philadelphia                                           +10
                  Carson City                                             +7
Charlotte / Dahlonega / New Orleans                       +5
                 San Francisco                                          +4
                     Denver                                                  -2

For over a year now, as I would keep data on Views to my Registry Sets, I've watched as my Puzzle Box Gold (Custom Set) would not get a single view, and I merely thought no one was looking at Custom Sets.

However, this past week The 12th Denticle sent me a private message telling me about how his Custom Set was not showing any Views, either.

So, we each looked at each other's Custom Set, to see if we could register a View Count, we even waited over a day to let NGC's software have time to update things in the evening, and we have verified that the View Counter is not updating when anyone looks at our Custom Sets… sets that we put so much work into.

Anyone else noticing this peculiarity?

Here is the latest installment, Views vs. Time, six months to the day since October 1, 2023.

image.thumb.png.b854879cb68962bce01251e3dcd89e7f.png

What this really highlighted for me is that — and this is just my humble opinion — no one views Custom Sets.  The old format of the Custom Set Registry just doesn't have the glamour — the sexiness, if you will — of the Competitive Sets format, and, hence, no one visits there, in general.

How did the Competitive Sets fair relative to Puzzle Box Gold?  They all lost ground to it this time around!  (Big reversal to the prior six months before.)

Competitive Set                     Views (relative to PBG)            
                San Francisco                                    -24
                    Charlotte                                        -20

Denver                                         -19
                 New Orleans                                     -18
                   Dahlonega                                      -15
                  Philadelphia                                     -13
                  Carson City                                       -8

The main type set, Puzzle Box Gold, has taken command again, as well it should.  Carson City gets honorable mention. (single digit loss)

For the Puzzle Box Gold (Custom Set), you'll notice that it bumped up a few views in November 2023.  This occurred during views requested by me of other NGC members, in an attempt to see if the View Counter for Custom Sets was working or not.  What was learned was the only way for a Custom Set you may own to reflect a view is if a Member — other than yourself — is logged on to NGC and views your Custom Set.  Quite a bit of sleuthing was needed to discover this, and I thank the other NGC members who helped with this.  We all learned a lot.