• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greek coin what is this
2 2

57 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 8:21 AM, ldhair said:

Over the years, I have learned to trust the opinions of those that have posted in this thread. In my opinion, they are correct about the OP coin. 

If the OP can sell the "owl" for what he thinks it is worth, then I guess that is all that matters, huh ?

Then we'll have THAT GUY coming here posting and asking what we think of his authentic "owl" !!  xD 

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee this post was just a post to educate people In not believing in the opinions of all the people who have something to say in a negative light as if they have all the answers which they don’t   so with that said thanks for your maturity in responding to just all of the comments .also if one’s opinion is correct or not who really cares this belongs to me and me alone so for all the doubters and experts your opinion is appreciated because this forum has allowed people to depend on there own research and not on others 

On 4/1/2023 at 11:19 AM, bobbyboshay said:

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee this post was just a post to educate people In not believing in the opinions of all the people who have something to say in a negative light as if they have all the answers which they don’t   so with that said thanks for your maturity in responding to just all of the comments .also if one’s opinion is correct or not who really cares this belongs to me and me alone so for all the doubters and experts your opinion is appreciated because this forum has allowed people to depend on there own research and not on others 

Nobody here ever claimed to be perfect or 100% accurate.  And foreign coins -- Owls in particular -- are a niche specialty where someone with years of expertise might be able to validate -- or definitively shoot down -- your claims.  Quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me either way.

But the notion that you posted to "educate" us about our failing is nonsense.  We KNOW we are not 100% perfect or accurate.  But the overwhelming evidence to date seems to be that the coin in question is not authentic.

I do hope an ancient or Owl expert chimes in who can settle this.  Regardless, your attempt at playing "gotcha" is not worthy of a thread, IMO.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/26/2023 at 10:00 AM, bobbyboshay said:

Thanks for your opinion but this time you’re are wrong been certified and appraised  with the certificate of authenticity and it’s silver  so everyone please don’t listen to theses experts opinions all the time get it appraised and certified 

Even if the coin is what you say, as a piece of jewelry it's not worth as much as if it was certified and graded.  And the authenticity is still in doubt.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:00 AM, bobbyboshay said:

Thanks for your opinion but this time you’re are wrong been certified and appraised  with the certificate of authenticity and it’s silver  so everyone please don’t listen to theses experts opinions all the time get it appraised and certified 

It's been six days, and we still haven't seen the "certificate of authenticity". As @bobbyboshay can post photos of coins and necklaces, he should be able to post images of documents as well.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, bobbyboshay said:

And you wrong agin took it a coin dealer in Charlotte North Carolina he verified it authentication also

The dealer remains unidentified. If his opinion was in writing, we haven't seen it.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:24 PM, bobbyboshay said:

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee

The "money back guarantee" hasn't been posted either, nor has the seller even been identified. If there is such a guarantee, perhaps @bobbyboshay should avail himself of it!

So far, we haven't seen a shred of evidence that the coin in the necklace is a genuine Athenian tetradrachm. Repeated statements that the several members of this forum who have expressed the opinion that it doesn't appear to be genuine are "wrong" don't prove that they are. If you wished to embarrass us--which you couldn't in any event given that our freely given opinions are only based upon photos--you have failed. If you have the certificate, opinion and guarantee to which you refer, why wouldn't you post them?

On 4/1/2023 at 6:32 PM, bobbyboshay said:

I hope this will shout up all the  big mouth know it all but don’t know mess Mr Experts 

24C18BFB-7EA6-4805-A7C3-63267755190E.jpeg

What are we looking at Bob ?

Look sir there was never any doubt also if the coin was not real money back was guarantee this post was just a post to educate people In not believing in the opinions of all the people who have something to say in a negative light as if they have all the answers which they don’t   so with that said thanks for your maturity in responding to just all of the comments .

On 4/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, J P M said:

What are we looking at Bob ?

Supposed composition of said coin. 

I don't know enough about these to say if 98.4% silver and 1.6% lead is the correct composition for an authentic Athenian tetradrachm, but if it was that alone would not prove the coin is authentic. It only shows how little the OP knows or cares about researching a subject. Or helping and/or educating others for that matter.  

Bobby, those results do not prove the coin is real, neither does a money back guarantee, and unless you can provide more information and better images this thread is done. 

All the experts here all the evidence you need I hope this will help you all in the future because you come to conclusions about things you don’t know about about. Thanks for all your help I appreciate all your opinions 

53CC3A7F-4F73-486B-B9E8-0380BDD70B38.jpeg

On 4/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, bobbyboshay said:

If you don’t know what you’re looking at then you don’t know what this tetra is made of Wow  

I can see the results Bob. I just cant see the object you are testing it is not in the photo

Edited by J P M

On 4/1/2023 at 8:38 PM, bobbyboshay said:

No problem I will take it back to tomorrow and get it with the pictures so it’s not enough I will take care of it tomorrow 

You can run all over Bob but it will not change anything. What Mike said is pertinent. Research other examples, get more information. Then you will know better what others here are trying to explain.   

On 4/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Supposed composition of said coin. 

I don't know enough about these to say if 98.4% silver and 1.6% lead is the correct composition for an authentic Athenian tetradrachm, but if it was that alone would not prove the coin is authentic. It only shows how little the OP knows or cares about researching a subject. Or helping and/or educating others for that matter.  

Bobby, those results do not prove the coin is real, neither does a money back guarantee, and unless you can provide more information and better images this thread is done. 

Why is it so important that a bunch of people you've never gotten to know over the past five years, much less had the pleasure of having opinions spewed at you so skewed they fail to hew with the line you're looking for mean so much to you? Who cares? You've got a written receipt, a return policy----even a coa.  Would it make you happier if we started a GoFundme shtick and reimbursed you for every dollar you paid for that thing?  A social media forum is by no means a suitable substitute for an opinion rendered by an experienced, professional and practiced grader.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, 7.jaguars said:

.... but this post has irritated me. 

I only have two questions. Both impertinent; neither irritating.

1.  How much did he pay for this artifact?

2.  How long had this gentleman been a member when he posted his query? (multiple choice)  a).  Five minutes.  b).  Five months.  c).  Nearly five years.

[Note:  I should like to take this opportunity to thank long-time member @James_OldeTowne for delineating in plain language the critical distinction between buying "sight-seen" and "sight-unseen."]

Edited by Henri CHARRIERE
Addition of edit.

Ok all you Experts  now do the math I hope this satisfies the curiosity this is how you kill the cats 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂  is this real life? is this just a fantasy? Caught in a landslide,  no escape from reality open your eye’s lookup to the skies and see I’m just a poor boy I need no any sympathy because I’m easy come easy go  little high little low any ways the wind blows doesn’t really matter to me  to me 

8696AC72-DF85-4843-A6EC-CA5F2EDE1F96.jpeg

AE6E5D1F-3E5B-4327-AC44-78002330016B.jpeg

My only regret is not knowing what the member another has characterized as speaking ex cathedra, at times, would make of all this. He was not only unimpressed with the unveiling of the Mint-sealed canvas bag containing 1964 silver halves----filmed live for the benefit of posterity, he fairly well scoffed at the very idea the spectacle proved authenticity of any kind.

To the OP:  I am inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt based both on your documentary showmanship and spunk as a newly-minted member.  After all, if your evidence could not withstand scrutiny, the loss would be yours and ours.  Thanks for the follow-up.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct typos.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, J P M said:

Cool it looks like it has all the numbers and we get a Queen song to go with it.

... as well as a plethora of grinning faces and a cryptic note which may pique the interest of @RWB :  " .... this is how you kill the [presumably feral] cats...."  🤣