• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die Radii

1 post in this topic

Encouraged by what I've read here, I bought one of Roger Burdette's books (1909-150 and right away learned about a technical aspect of minting coins that I had never thought of--die radii. There's great stuff here about pennies and nickels and I'm looking forward later in the book to reading about the coins about Panama. I'm a foot-note-reading person and with the footnotes at the bottom of each page, it's easier to read these than flipping to the back of the book. There is an informative posting by David Lange further back on the Forum (2006) and this gives more  detailed information about the technical aspects of die radii--one can easily access this if one is interested in detailed information. Finally, I wonder if this concept might somehow be related to pattern recognition programs that might be used in the future to grade coins via computers.

I've been enjoying reading many posts on this forum and have gone back several years to read previous posts.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by roadbike
make less technical and more readable, TMI