• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 Lincoln Memorial Cent with Weak/Missing "of" on the Reverse
1 1

7 posts in this topic

hello Team,

I know these are pretty common but I've never seen one this extreme to point where it's almost as if the word "of" is missing from the United States of America on the reverse of the coin. I think it's a cool piece for conversation so I'm keeping it. I call it the "United States - America" Lincoln Cent because that's exactly what it looks like. 

WIN_20230314_14_57_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230314_14_57_45_Pro.jpg

IMG_20230314_180501_HDR_2.jpg

IMG_20230314_180400_HDR_2.jpg

Since there is no apparent wear in the area “of”, I have to assume this is a “struck through” coin. Meaning it was struck with something,debris, grease, etc which prevented the die from doing its job. There is no premium for these coins but are always interesting how this happens. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

The word "OF" was frequently an area of poor die fill on Lincoln Memorial reverse cents due to its being opposite Lincoln's shoulder. As I recall, the mint modified the relief of the shoulder on more than one occasion in order to correct this problem, but never entirely succeeded.

Most collectors avoid weakly struck coins. The only type regarded as mint errors would be pieces known as "set up strikes" believed to have been struck while the press was being adjusted to the correct pressure. These pieces only show traces of the design.

I agree with Sandon. I have seen many Lincolns with that area of weak lettering on the reverse. On strike through errors, there is unevenness in the surface as the metal flow is not normal but either pushed aside or an object struck through will leave pits or grooves depending on what object was in the dies at the time of the strike. Struck through heavy grease will impair the struck image, but also will result in small pitting of the surface as the layer of grease affects the metal flow of the image and also is a compressing layer on the clean fields. This coin does not show evidence of a struck through error.

Thanks for the input guys. As always your professional insight from years of experince is greatly appreciated.

That being said, I took a closer look at the coin and I'm just gonna post the pics and you guys tell me what you see. So, in addition to the missing "of" on the reverse, there may be something on the obverse. 

IMG-0067.jpg

IMG-0068.jpg

IMG-0069.jpg

WIN_20230315_14_29_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230315_14_30_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230315_14_28_24_Pro.jpg

If you have not figured it out yet we are not big on guessing what it is you think you see, if there is something that you have a question about please specify what it is you are unsure about.

I don't see any clear signs of doubling.  Some of the lettering has taken some mild hits, and the coin is circulated.  There is some general scuffing and crud on both sides, but it's not the worst I have ever seen.  I have looked at it longer than I would have if it were in my hand... I see nothing special.  I am sorry, it's a cert.  I wish I had better news.