• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 draped bust dollar

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Miss mom,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, I cannot identify, authenticate or evaluate coins via photos.

I see that you are a new Collector's Society Associate member, I would be happy to assist you with submitting your coin if you have any questions on how to submit it.  If you wish to have additional insight into this type of coin before submission, you may want to consider visiting a local coin dealer. 

You can find dealers here: NGC | Dealer Locator.

Have a good day! 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your "coin" is an obvious replica--some on these forums would say counterfeit or fake--of a Draped Bust, Small Eagle reverse U.S. silver dollar, a type dated between 1795 and 1797.  While the genuine coins are quite valuable, a modern replica like this one is of little or no value. You don't want to spend money to send it to a grading service!  The raised rim around the edge of the coin indicates that it was struck in a "close collar", a technology only adopted at the U.S. Mint between 1829 and 1836. The design details, letters, and numerals only superficially resemble those of a genuine coin.  I happen to own a genuine (recently NGC certified) 1796 coin of this type, whose photos follow:

355734094_1796dollarobv..thumb.jpg.18639901f362ce3d8ac0d1b1dc681598.jpg392818214_1796dollarrev..thumb.jpg.7a4ca125cd7e5c9d186cb83bfc4e7f1f.jpg

On 3/11/2023 at 2:14 PM, Miss mom said:

What type do I have

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, what you have is a crudely made counterfeit coin. Whoever sold that to you is a criminal, and should be reported to the authorities.

Before you ask, we do not willingly post information that might help counterfeiters who are reading this forum, so I am not going to give you the reasons I say it is not real. But, if you would like to see how I know your coin is fake, you can take a look at the real one pictured  in the following link, and compare the details of your coin to the genuine example.

click here

Sandon posted while I was typing my reply. His pictures are more than adequate for finding multiple differences in the real thing and your piece.

Edited by Just Bob