• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detritus Within Slab
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I recently acquired a coin at auction that was graded MS65RB, but upon closer examination, there appears to be what looks like a crumb on the bust truncation. I initially thought it was on the slab and would wipe off, but it clearly is inside the slab on the actual coin. These little bits of detritus can usually be dabbed off with a cocktail stick or just shaken off, but now it's in the slab, can anything be done about this? It's only small, but it's slap bang in the centre of Victoria's neck and it's the first thing I notice when I look at the coin.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers. 

On 3/11/2023 at 9:47 AM, Christopher Ray said:

These little bits of detritus can usually be dabbed off with a cocktail stick or just shaken off, but now it's in the slab, can anything be done about this?

In addition to posting pics of the coin here, including both sides and a close that best represents the detritus, contact customer service of the grading company who slabbed the coin.  It may be bits of pizza crust from the grader's lunch who put the coin in a slab. ;)

I would really hope the standards are strict enough that someone handling the coins I submit isn't coming back from lunch with greasy pizza/burger/wings fingers and touching my coins. Really hope. Really, really hope.

Your coin is actually a half-gratia of the wife of Roman Consul Detritus Trebonius Commutatus. Historians do not know her name, so they call her "Fil" or "Phil," after her hairband. Detritus was Consul from 221-220 BCE and led five legions against the Veii until he learned they were Rome's ally and was forced to turn back. It was also said by Pliny the Very Younger that he took the title of his 12 lictors seriously, and insisted they lick his toes whenever he presided over the Senate.

Edited by RWB