• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Coin Capsule

16 posts in this topic

This is one big Capital Plastics Air-Tite coin capsule.  Reminds me of a small coin board, but encapsulated.

Holder For US 19th & 20th Century Type Coins by Capital Plastic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO
Corrected brand name

yes these are cool... I remember back in the day when Capitol Plastics made a ton of different ones of these.  They are pretty cool .. I have a few of them.

Before third-party grading services existed, three-layer lucite holders with screws like this were considered to be the best coin holders.  They were made for individual coins of all denominations, proof and mint sets, type sets like this one, and even sets of whole series by date and mint.  The best-known manufacturer was Capitol Plastics, which may still be in business.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sandon said:

lucite holders with screws like this were considered to be the best coin holders.

so very true!!  i have an UNC merc short set, a war nickel set, Franklin set, and many of the early 50's and 60's proof sets.  love'em and they look great!

On 3/7/2023 at 8:48 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Eagle, is t that a Capitol plastics board? Air-title capsules are a separate thing aren’t they? You should fill it!

Yes, it's from Capital Plastics which is still in business ... https://www.capitalplastics.com/index.html ... and the attached is from the Capital catalog I was looking at with the type set holder.

I just refer to the plastic coin capsules and such generically as "air-tites" which is kind of a brand name, like Band-Aid.  Capital has a bunch of small multi-coin holders and type sets in their catalog, but I thought this one was unusual due to the 12x12 size, which reminded me of a small coin board.

Holder Type Set1.jpg

On 3/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, Sandon said:

Before third-party grading services existed, three-layer lucite holders with screws like this were considered to be the best coin holders.  They were made for individual coins of all denominations, proof and mint sets, type sets like this one, and even sets of whole series by date and mint.  The best-known manufacturer was Capitol Plastics, which may still be in business.

They absolutely are. 

Air-tite and a capital plastic type of holder are two very different things and attempting to use those as equal will confuse anyone that knows the difference, just saying.   I love the capital holders but they can be quite bulky, I have several single coin holders, some mint/proof set holders, a two board set for Wheat Lincolns, and a gold type set holder.   The gold type set holder is black and the gold coins look smashing in that.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:28 PM, Coinbuf said:

Air-tite and a capital plastic type of holder are two very different things and attempting to use those as equal will confuse anyone that knows the difference, just saying.

Yea, I have a bunch of Air-tite brand capsules, and a while ago just picked up referring to them generically as such.  But you are right I really should distinguish between the two to be technically correct and avoid confusion on the board.

So you got me thinking now, are Air-tite brand capsules really air tight?

On 3/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yea, I have a bunch of Air-tite brand capsules, and a while ago just picked up referring to them generically as such.  But you are right I really should distinguish between the two to be technically correct and avoid confusion on the board.

Not really, no. 

On 3/7/2023 at 11:28 AM, Coinbuf said:

Air-tite and a capital plastic type of holder are two very different things and attempting to use those as equal will confuse anyone that knows the difference, just saying.   I love the capital holders but they can be quite bulky, I have several single coin holders, some mint/proof set holders, a two board set for Wheat Lincolns, and a gold type set holder.   The gold type set holder is black and the gold coins look smashing in that.

The absolute best set of Buffalo nickels I’ve EVER seen was in a Capital Plastics holder and not even one of them had EVER been to Sarasota or Southern California. That’s just how Pennsylvania collectors roll, for the most part. 

On 3/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, EagleRJO said:

I do not actually know, I've never read up on the product as I don't use them myself.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not actually know, I've never read up on the product as I don't use them myself.

There are several capsule companies: Leuchturm, CoinSafe, AirTite, and dozens of cheap Asian knockoffs. 

On 3/7/2023 at 1:53 PM, VKurtB said:

The absolute best set of Buffalo nickels I’ve EVER seen was in a Capital Plastics holder

i saw one with 2 1/2 Indians that i was drooling over !!!  i wanted it so bad but was just a little short that day....  all unc all perfect!

On 3/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

I did some preliminary research and I didn't find any information on these capsules being air tight, including no claims on the Air-tite website to that effect.  In any event, the air-tite capsules have just a press closed overlapping side plastic seal, which would not be expected to be air tight.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:16 PM, VKurtB said:

There are several capsule companies: Leuchturm, CoinSafe, AirTite, and dozens of cheap Asian knockoffs. 

Don't forget Direct-Fit.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, EagleRJO said:

I did some preliminary research and I didn't find any information on these capsules being air tight, including no claims on the Air-tite website to that effect.  In any event, the air-tite capsules have just a press closed overlapping side plastic seal, which would not be expected to be air tight.

Don't forget Direct-Fit.

Obviously, … I did. :grin: I got some 27mm ones off of Amazon years ago. Complete no-name. They work fine. No obvious problems. 

Edited by VKurtB