• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint " - New Book available.

9 posts in this topic

Seneca Mill Press LLC proudly announces release of the latest numismatic book by Roger W. Burdette:

Saudi Gold

and other

Tales from the Mint

Press/Media Release

For Immediate Release

America’s national numismatic journey began with tentative issues of “Fugio” cents in 1787 and “half dismes” in 1792. Over time, external events generated unexpected changes to accustomed financial and coinage systems. Some changes were of wide impact, while others were limited to our national mints, and some remain largely unknown to the present.

Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint  explains use of gold as a single monetary standard, commonly accepted by most nations. But the United States, with its diverse and questioning population, attempted to have gold and silver as “semi-exchangeable” if not practical dual standards.

After decades of mannered stability, a once ubiquitous gold exchange standard crumbled under international economic pressures resulting from World War I. American dollars that had long been expressed as “gold dollar” or “silver dollar” or “greenback dollar” all became simply “a dollar.” Coin collectors used their newly equal dollars to enhance collections, fill coin boards and examine pocket change for rare and valuable coins. The business of coins became part of the collection of coins and drew within it a new diversity of hobbyists and businesses.

During the interwar Great Depression period, Treasury began a large construction and modernization plan for the mints. This included separate bullion depositories for gold and silver, enlargement of existing mints and a proposed new mint in Indiana. Director Nellie Ross reinvigorated the Mint Service with better training, heightened security, improved facilities and crucial direct oversight.

With World War II came new, often secret roles for the Treasury and Mint Bureau. Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint describes how they became lenders of war materials, international coin producers, and unexpected sources of foreign aid designed to improve America’s war efforts. The Department of State seemed, at times, to use the Mint Bureau as its own adjunct; bypassing a Congress reluctant to take a long view of international relations.

World War II produced the greatest single disruption of human activity ever experienced. The rise of large-scale totalitarianism, weapons of unimaginable destructive capability, and economic distortion forced Great Britain, the United States and their allies to take extraordinary measures to make the word safe for democracy.

Central to this was securing the cooperation of allies and non-aligned states for raw materials, overflight permission, and advance base logistics planning. Our title, Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint, focuses on one of many events involving manufacture of coinage, lend-lease arrangements and, especially on relations between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United States. This was one of personal kindness, connection and respect between President Roosevelt and King Abdulaziz bin Abdul Rahman Al Saud.  America’s diplomatic goal was not oil – we were self-sufficient – but access to a transportation base for troops required for the expected invasion of Japan. The gold discs which coin collectors associate with Saudi Arabia were only incidental, but after decades of confusion we present what actually happened.

We close with examination of two of our most iconic coins. The first, honors the wartime President who led with courage and commitment. The second recognized a man who held no great political office, but became a revered American national philosopher.

420010260_Cover-SaudiGoldv04sm.thumb.jpg.a2e497b8a21dcb80d4b2da3b237f7c8f.jpg

Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint is available from Wizard Coin Supply (www.wizardcoinsupply.com). Cover price for the 8½ x 11-inch hard cover book containing 258 full color pages is $39.99. Purchasers may also download a complete digital index edition at no cost. This will facilitate subject searches and provides a convenient copy for use on phones, tablets, and similar portable devices.

I signed several cases of books yesterday, and all orders as of then have shipped.

There seems to me more than usual "Buzz" about this book.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:14 PM, RWB said:

I signed several cases of books yesterday, and all orders as of then have shipped.

There seems to me more than usual "Buzz" about this book.

I bought the book because it seemed more intriguing than just about Saudi gold discs. 

Please let me know what you think about it. It's all related to gold although the last two are more tangent than perpendicular connections.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, RWB said:

Please let me know what you think about it. It's all related to gold although the last two are more tangent than perpendicular connections.

It's a great book about the background of 20th century American monetary policy. I didn't finish it yet, but I also saw the sketches for the Roosevelt Dime and Franklin Half. I have to say after seeing them, now I know why the eagle was small for the Franklin Half. Almost looks like the Franklin Half design was going to be used for the WWII half dime, not exactly, but the sketches give off that vibe. 

Yes, the Franklin designs were all intended for the 1/2-dime or possibly a 3-cent coin. Dir Ross admired Franklin which is why his portrait is on the half. John Sinnock died before doing any work on the half -- everything was completed by Roberts -- who should have gotten co-credit  (or blame...) in my opinion.

Edited by RWB

Autographed copies are available on request. There is no extra charge. Include the request with your order.

[NOTE: This also applies to any of my books sold through Wizard Coin Supply.]

On 3/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, RWB said:

Seneca Mill Press LLC proudly announces release of the latest numismatic book by Roger W. Burdette:

Saudi Gold

and other

Tales from the Mint

Press/Media Release

For Immediate Release

America’s national numismatic journey began with tentative issues of “Fugio” cents in 1787 and “half dismes” in 1792. Over time, external events generated unexpected changes to accustomed financial and coinage systems. Some changes were of wide impact, while others were limited to our national mints, and some remain largely unknown to the present.

Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint  explains use of gold as a single monetary standard, commonly accepted by most nations. But the United States, with its diverse and questioning population, attempted to have gold and silver as “semi-exchangeable” if not practical dual standards.

After decades of mannered stability, a once ubiquitous gold exchange standard crumbled under international economic pressures resulting from World War I. American dollars that had long been expressed as “gold dollar” or “silver dollar” or “greenback dollar” all became simply “a dollar.” Coin collectors used their newly equal dollars to enhance collections, fill coin boards and examine pocket change for rare and valuable coins. The business of coins became part of the collection of coins and drew within it a new diversity of hobbyists and businesses.

During the interwar Great Depression period, Treasury began a large construction and modernization plan for the mints. This included separate bullion depositories for gold and silver, enlargement of existing mints and a proposed new mint in Indiana. Director Nellie Ross reinvigorated the Mint Service with better training, heightened security, improved facilities and crucial direct oversight.

With World War II came new, often secret roles for the Treasury and Mint Bureau. Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint describes how they became lenders of war materials, international coin producers, and unexpected sources of foreign aid designed to improve America’s war efforts. The Department of State seemed, at times, to use the Mint Bureau as its own adjunct; bypassing a Congress reluctant to take a long view of international relations.

World War II produced the greatest single disruption of human activity ever experienced. The rise of large-scale totalitarianism, weapons of unimaginable destructive capability, and economic distortion forced Great Britain, the United States and their allies to take extraordinary measures to make the word safe for democracy.

Central to this was securing the cooperation of allies and non-aligned states for raw materials, overflight permission, and advance base logistics planning. Our title, Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint, focuses on one of many events involving manufacture of coinage, lend-lease arrangements and, especially on relations between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United States. This was one of personal kindness, connection and respect between President Roosevelt and King Abdulaziz bin Abdul Rahman Al Saud.  America’s diplomatic goal was not oil – we were self-sufficient – but access to a transportation base for troops required for the expected invasion of Japan. The gold discs which coin collectors associate with Saudi Arabia were only incidental, but after decades of confusion we present what actually happened.

We close with examination of two of our most iconic coins. The first, honors the wartime President who led with courage and commitment. The second recognized a man who held no great political office, but became a revered American national philosopher.

420010260_Cover-SaudiGoldv04sm.thumb.jpg.a2e497b8a21dcb80d4b2da3b237f7c8f.jpg

I would love to read this book. Now I will try to find it on bookstores or on the Internet. Just finished studying food insecurity, used the helpful site for this. That's why I just had a free minute for a new book. So far I've found few reviews about it. I would like to know what people think about it.

Saudi Gold and other Tales from the Mint is available from Wizard Coin Supply (www.wizardcoinsupply.com). Cover price for the 8½ x 11-inch hard cover book containing 258 full color pages is $39.99. Purchasers may also download a complete digital index edition at no cost. This will facilitate subject searches and provides a convenient copy for use on phones, tablets, and similar portable devices.

Is the book worth the price?

Edited by davidturner

Others will have to respond to your question. The price is about 1 silver dollar w/o a slab; but only you can decide if the information is useful, interesting, important, or of some other "value" to yourself. :)