• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAC and MAC stickers
1 1

64 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2024 at 11:23 PM, Sandon said:

Presumably, the reference is to the 2016-W centennial commemorative issue, containing a tenth of an ounce of .9999 fine gold and bearing the design of the "Mercury" dime. The mint sold 124,885 of them, according to the "Red Book", which lists them in between the 2015 and 2016 Roosevelt dime issues, at least in the 2023 edition.  There were similar 2016-W gold commemorative issues of the Standing Liberty quarter and the Liberty Walking half dollar.

I consider listing any and all of the 2016 gold tribute coins with their design partners to be silly, erroneous, and darned stupid. They are gold bullion coins, PERIOD, and should be listed with other gold bullion in the Red Book. 

On 6/13/2024 at 2:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I have never heard or read about any "Sight White" (NOT Slight :) )....but it apparently is some newfangled thing for silver/white coins:

https://sightwhite.com/

Looks like a guy just trying to copycat CAC on a much much smaller scale.:|

The sight white sticker was created by a long time dealer from Philadelphia, whose name temporarily escapes me. He bought a bunch of graded Morgans from me.

Found him. Robert Paul, from South Street in Philly. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I thought this Merc looks really good. I thought it was the same size. The Kennedy looks amazing but can't really afford that one

s-l1600 (1).webp

FWIW:  

MERCURY DIME:          16.5 mm diameter.

2016 CENTENNIAL DIME: 17.91 mm diameter.

Any other specs are readily accessible on the internet. 

Regarding "looks".  I examined it closely with my antique 30-power jeweler's loupe. (Yes, the very one VKurtB explicitly forbade me from using) and, like your example above, I thought it was lacking in explicit detail -- aggravated by the fact that it is comprised of "pure," theoretically SOFT gold, unalloyed with any other metal.

In short, I am not a happy camper.

On 6/13/2024 at 2:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I have never heard or read about any "Sight White" (NOT Slight :) )....but it apparently is some newfangled thing for silver/white coins:

Sight White is actually not new. Its been around since about 2017. I remember getting a card about the company at CSNS in 2019.