• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 D Lincoln Cent Double Die Obverse?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

hello Team,

Been hunting through coin rolls for around a month now. I'm a complete newbie to the hobbie so your professional opinion is highly appreciated. 

So I found this 2009 D Lincoln cent and I'm wondering if this is a legitimate DDO or just machine doubling. The date seem to be doubled and the earlobe opens up some questions for me. Hope my eyes aren't getting old. lol.. Thanks for your input team.

WIN_20230301_15_24_30_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230301_15_26_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230301_15_26_51_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230301_15_30_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230301_15_30_37_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230301_15_24_27_Pro.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It is preferable to post photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin, as well as the area that interests you. In this case, it would be helpful to know which of the 4 commemorative reverses the coin has.

I see ever so slight thickening on some of the date numerals and the mint mark of your 2009-D cent but none on the earlobe, just a nick. The coin could be a very minor doubled die obverse, which wouldn't likely be of much value. You might check out the 2009-D listings on Wexler's website at Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com) and the other sites to which he refers to see if you can find a match.  

On 3/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It is preferable to post photos of the entire obverse and reverse of the coin, as well as the area that interests you. In this case, it would be helpful to know which of the 4 commemorative reverses the coin has.

I see ever so slight thickening on some of the date numerals and the mint mark of your 2009-D cent but none on the earlobe, just a nick. The coin could be a very minor doubled die obverse, which wouldn't likely be of much value. You might check out the 2009-D listings on Wexler's website at Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties (doubleddie.com) and the other sites to which he refers to see if you can find a match.  

Thank you so much! I did check that website and it looks a little like the second-to-last and the last images in the article I found here: http://doubleddie.com/90701.html What do you think?

Thank you for the photos. The 2009 Lincoln cent series has so many small imperfections it is crazy. If the coin is not in AU or MS quality none of them would be worth a premium. Keep up the hunt. I enjoy it . I roll hunt all the time and find lots of nice book coins and once in a blue moon a error.  

On 3/1/2023 at 8:49 PM, J P M said:

I roll hunt all the time and find lots of nice book coins and once in a blue moon a error.  

Story of my life with quarter and half dollar roll hunting!  Legit errors seem to be very difficult to find.