• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kennedy half dollar damage

18 posts in this topic

I found three damaged Kennedy half dollars

I want to show the picture, can anyone tell me anything about this coin

this is a picture of the one this is one Coin, I have three they’re damaged in different ways

589F3241-A98C-4022-AB5A-5E6D199CA7A1.jpeg

9F5AC398-F090-4A29-B19A-8BE4445B7385.jpeg

3AAEAC18-CEB6-4C52-A839-835D8EA6648C.jpeg

Edited by John Lengyel
I worded it wrong the first time I made it sound like the picture was of three separate coins and it’s just a picture of one coin

I’m a little lost when you say spender what does that mean?

I put the coins underneath a Magnifier and realize somebody must’ve tampered with these coins. I realize now they were fake. I’m not a professional, but after really looking at it underneath the magnifying is wildly_fanciful_statement. I apologized told me because I’m a beginner, but I’m catching on quick.

Edited by John Lengyel

Welcome to the NGC Forum! A 'spender is a coin that has no extra value, so if you don't want to keep it, you can spend it. Your new pic came in as I was typing, much better pic of the damage. Other comments will follow, have patience, as it might take a few days for members to view it. While you are waiting for responses, I recommend that you read at the very top of this Newbie Coin questions area the thread entitled, 'What you need to know before posting coins for enquiry'. You will enjoy it and will help you on your future coin world journey. 

I want to thank you very much for taking your time to help me out 

I just put it under a Magnifier you are absolutely correct it is fake. Someone must’ve did this in the basement. I apologize after realizing it I want to take it down and move on. I’ve been wrong about this.

Edited by John Lengyel

On 3/1/2023 at 1:25 PM, John Lengyel said:

I want to thank you very much for taking your time to help me out if I can ever do anything for you in return let me know you’re telling me the damage I can’t believe it I’ve seen some of the errors. It just breaks my heart if that thing isn’t worth any money, it would just break my heart I’ll sell it I don’t have no attachment to it But I thought it was a good Coin. Thank you very much for your time. 

Selling it is unlikely, unless you find someone who imagines it to be an error rather than a simple damaged coin. My suggestion is not to get your heart broken too much when you are new to the world of coins. Start by assuming there's probably a mundane and low-value explanation for whatever you're seeing, and then be pleasantly surprised if you come up with an actual error.

Welcome! The Kennedy’s are more valuable in 1964 when they were silver. The copper nickel clad coins after that are less value due to no silver content. The valuable or I should say more valuable coins would be proof or uncirculated.

F1EC5E3A-C879-461B-B401-FEB664284492.jpeg

0C7925C6-B13F-414A-8345-31BD48B5DA3B.jpeg

To learn at a basic level what error coins actually look like and how they are created, see the following NGC articles:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a more comprehensive guide to mint errors, see www.error-ref.com .

Note that it is extremely unlikely that you will ever find a significant mint error or other coin of much value in circulation!

I'm just curious what you thought made the coins valuable.  And welcome!

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

@John Lengyel soak them in acetone, it could just be glue residue.   Coins are often used as promotional items and glued to various cardboard items.   The acetone will not hurt the coin at all and if it is glue residue that will lift off or become pliable and you can peel it off.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

I'm just curious what you thought made the coins valuable.  And welcome!

Welcome Forum.jpg

I didn’t know to be honest I was hoping I would find something to make my first sale. I want to break that curse I have making my first sale of something I found I want to sell to the public.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:09 PM, John Lengyel said:

I didn’t know to be honest I was hoping I would find something to make my first sale. I want to break that curse I have making my first sale of something I found I want to sell to the public.

You have to know the basics about coins and what is and isn't an error first.  See the following topic by Sandon and the post above by him about mint errors.  Also go to sites like error-ref.com, varietyvista.com and doubleddie.com for more info about errors and finding ones that may be valuable enough to sell.

LInk:  Resources for Collectors