• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Mint Errors

9 posts in this topic

Are you referring the the black mark? Cant' tell much from your photo -- it's sharp and clear, but doesn't show if the black mark is damage or a minting error. For this coin, it would likely grade since older coins are not held to the standard of modern pieces. Likely VF-EF.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:25 AM, RWB said:

Are you referring the the black mark? Cant' tell much from your photo -- it's sharp and clear, but doesn't show if the black mark is damage or a minting error. For this coin, it would likely grade since older coins are not held to the standard of modern pieces. Likely VF-EF.

Agreed, on all points. 

The only errors I know of that produce strange surface pits or depressions are a lamination error or a strike through error. I am not sure this falls under those categories. I would lean towards that being a point of damage. IMHO it would get a details grade for damage.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:45 AM, powermad5000 said:

The only errors I know of that produce strange surface pits or depressions are a lamination error or a strike through error. I am not sure this falls under those categories. I would lean towards that being a point of damage. IMHO it would get a details grade for damage.

Looking at the surface depression near the top of the coin it appears to have jagged edges and gets deeper from the top going down.  So I would tend to agree.

Out of curiosity, I showed the picture of the coin to someone I know who is a metallurgist.  It appears the missing fragment of the coin was caused by some kind of impact damage the coin was subjected to after it was struck.  There is a variation in the depth of the hole left by the fragment being displaced, combined with the appearance of there being depressed and deformed metal in that area.  Therefore, it is not likely a planchet delamination error or anything that occurred during striking.

If the TPG knows what they are looking at it would likely end up being a "Details" grade due to PMD.

Edited by EagleRJO